Ash1402 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Can I have two tables in a single form?

I am trying to take a subform and copy it into a regular main form but when I do the cells don't link up. I have tried changing the control source etc. but nothing really links too well.

Is there a way to take a form with a subform and bring all of the subforms contents into the main form? What can I do to get the cells all working and submitting?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    We'll need a little more detail on the two tables. Do they have a relationship of any kind?

They didn't originally but I just made one between a form number. They could have a secondary relationship of a suffix number which makes up the unique identifier if that makes it easier. Essentially, one form keeps track of the records and another keeps track of where they are.

So is it a 1:1 relationship or 1:m?

Access just shows a black line between them so I'm not sure what that means. I think it might be 1:1 though as there is only a single form but a multiple number of suffixes for said form based upon how many drop offs are received. All I did was drag the 'FORM' from one table to the 'FORM' in another table within the relationships panel and then click OK. I didn't edit the relationship settings.

Thank you for helping me so far I am a noob at this stuff but I hope to learn more.

Normally you would put the PrimaryKey value of one table (hopefully an AutoNumber) into a ForeignKey field of the 2nd table to establish the relationship. If you click on the LINE between the two tables and RightClick, you can look at the relationship.

Neither table has a primary key (I didn't design the database and it has been in use for over a decade now). I assume that the Form number and suffix combined create a unique identifier. It goes a little like this:

There's a paper form with a five digit number on top which is sort of like an incremental number but sometimes forms are missing or not used which causes some forms to be entered out of sequence. Each form has a starting suffix of 1 up to however many deposits of the same item we have. So if a person brings 5 of said item in the form number would be in the database 5 times with a suffix of 1 through 5.

Each instance of the suffix may be transferred to a different department which are inside of drop down boxes populated by a query to another table that contains the list of departments. For data entry purposes I would like it so that all of the fields are on one form from the two tables so that I can easily copy/paste or duplicate the data so there is no need to add it again if there happens to be 50+ suffixes.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.