Avaliable [yes/no]

Booked_Rooms
    Booking_ID 
    Rooms_Booked

Room_Master
    Room_ID (PK)
    Room_Category
    Room_Rate
    I want to create a form for booking the rooms for a customer.
    How I can create a form based on multiple tables, so that when record is inserted, it should update three tables Booking_Details, RoomStatus, Booked_Rooms.

Kindly suggest me a solution for this in MS Access 2010.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Link your three tables together in a query, returning all the fields that you want.
    Then use this query as the Control Source of your Form.
    Then updating information on the Form should be reflected in the underlying Tables.

priyanka is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Multiple Tables in a form

Quote Originally Posted by priyanka View Post
    I have 3 tables in a hotel database:
    Code:
    Booking_Details
    Booking_ID (PK)
    Cust_ID (FK) with customer table
    Room_ID (FK) to Room_Master containing Room_ID, Room_Category
    No_Of_Rooms 
    CheckInDate
    CheckOutdate
    RoomStatus
    RoomNo (PK)
    Room_ID
    Avaliable [yes/no]
    Booked_Rooms
    Booking_ID 
    Rooms_Booked

Room_Master
    Room_ID (PK)
    Room_Category
    Room_Rate
    I want to create a form for booking the rooms for a customer.
    How I can create a form based on multiple tables, so that when record is inserted, it should update three tables Booking_Details, RoomStatus, Booked_Rooms.

Kindly suggest me a solution for this in MS Access 2010.
    Thanks for the reply.
    When I created a Query and added in the Record Source (Data tab), nothing is displayed on the form.
    I read on setting a query in Record source, it cannot edit data in the form.
    What I had thought Booking form to be designed should have:

Cust_ID ICombo box) displaying Cust_ID from Customer_Master
    First Name (text boxes)
    Last Name (These will display details of the customer with selected Cust_ID.
    Room Type (Combo Box) display category form Room_Master at back it will take Room_ID as value.
    Number of Rooms Required (textbox)
    CheckInDate:
    CheckOutDate:
    All Room Nos under Room Type should be displayed in Available Rooms (how I should display, no idea).
    Also Available which is a Yes/No field.
    Finally, data should be saved in the tables.

Is it possible with the structure given above.
    If there is any link explaining this type of form design, kindly mention.

Thank you in advance.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    As long as you create an "editable" query, you should be able to use the Form for Data Entry.
    By default, if you are using the "standard" Inner Joins in your query, the query will only return records where there are matching key fields records in each of the three tables. So if you do not have any records currently like that, you won't see any existing records in your query (and hence on your Form). But you should still be able to add new records using your Form (provided the query is editable).

If you have some one-to-many relationships, you may need to create Subforms instead, and link those to your Main Forms.

If you need more assistance doing this, it would be very helpful if we could see your query (paste your SQL code here), and some samples of the data in your tables.

email id for table structure

​Can u send me ur email id for sending table structure.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Just post them to the site. You even have the option of uploading your file/database, though I won't be able to look at it until much later, as I cannot download files from my present location (though others may take a look at it in the meantime).

Table structure

Customer_Master
    Cust_ID FirstName LastName
    C001 John Smith
    C002 Jill Paul
    C003 Janny Disco

Room_Master
    Room_ID Room_Category Room_Rate
    R001 Delux 2000
    R002 Executive 3000

Room_Status
    Room_No Room_ID Avaliable
    101 R001 Yes
    102 R002 Yes
    103 R002 No
    105 R001 Yes
    107 R002 No
    109 R001 No
    200 R002 No

Booking_Details
    Booking_Details Cust_ID Room_ID No_Of_Rooms Checkin_Date Checkout_Date
    B001 C001 R001 2 13/09/2012 20/09/2012
    B002 C002 R002 1 10/09/2012 12/09/2012

Booked_Rooms
    Booking_ID Booked_Rooms
    B001 101
    B001 105
    B002 102

Room_Master
    Room_ID Room_Category Room_Rate
    R001 Delux 2000
    R002 Executive 3000

Room_Status
    Room_No Room_ID Avaliable
    101 R001 Yes

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Can you also post the SQL code of the query you wrote to join your tables together so we can analayze it?
    Just switch your Query to SQL View and copy and paste that code here.

SQL query

Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    Can you also post the SQL code of the query you wrote to join your tables together so we can analayze it?
    Just switch your Query to SQL View and copy and paste that code here.
    This is the query which I generated, but nothing comes on form after adding it in the record source.

SELECT Booking_Details.Booking_Details, Booking_Details.Cust_ID, Booking_Details.Room_ID, Booking_Details.No_Of_Rooms, Room_Status.Room_No, Room_Status.Avaliable, Booked_Rooms.Booked_Rooms
    FROM Room_Status, Booking_Details INNER JOIN Booked_Rooms ON Booking_Details.Booking_Details = Booked_Rooms.Booking_ID;

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The key is this part here:
    ON Booking_Details.Booking_Details = Booked_Rooms.Booking_ID
    Looking at your example, it looks like you should have matches (B001 and B002).
    If you look at your actual data, do you actually have matches between these two tables like this?
    If so, it should definitely return records in your query. If not, it won't.

If it appears that you do have matches, but the query is returning nothing, it could be indicative that your values really don't match. Maybe there is an extra space or special character in one of them, so they don't match exactly. I would recommend using the LEN function on both the Booking_Details.Booking_Details and Booked_Rooms.Booking_ID fields to confirm that there aren't any extra characters or spaces causing issues.

For example, if your Booking_ID is "B001" and LEN([Booking_ID]) returns a value of 5, you know you have some extra characters in there.

The key is this part here:

Looking at your example, it looks like you should have matches (B001 and B002).
    If you look at your actual data, do you actually have matches between these two tables like this?
    If so, it should definitely return records in your query. If not, it won't.

If it appears that you do have matches, but the query is returning nothing, it could be indicative that your values really don't match. Maybe there is an extra space or special character in one of them, so they don't match exactly. I would recommend using the LEN function on both the Booking_Details.Booking_Details and Booked_Rooms.Booking_ID fields to confirm that there aren't any extra characters or spaces causing issues.

For example, if your Booking_ID is "B001" and LEN([Booking_ID]) returns a value of 5, you know you have some extra characters in there.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any other solution where I can drag fields from the required tables. As my first table first saves the customer data in the Customer_Master table.
    Now, for this new Customer, when user clicks Booking, opens a new form which will display customer id from the last form in the first field.
    Then, displays Room_Category from Room_Master in a combo box.
    On selection, displays the Room_No for the corresponding Room_ID and Availability for selection.
    Then, CheckIn date and check out dates...
    When user clicks Add, the data from these fields in the Booking_details table and Room_Status table.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Let's not put the horse the cart here.
    Based on what I said in my last post, if you truly have matching records in those two tables, but that query is NOT returning any data, then you have a data issue. If you have a data issue, unless you correct it, it doesn't matter what you try, you are going to have problems. So let's focus on fixing that part first.

Can you please address/respond to the comments/concerns I made in the previous post?

New Query

SELECT Customer_Master.Cust_ID, Room_Master.Room_Category, Room_Master.Room_Rate, Booking_Details.Checkin_Date, Booking_Details.Checkout_Date, Room_Status.Room_No, Room_Status.Avaliable
    FROM ((Room_Master INNER JOIN (Customer_Master INNER JOIN Booking_Details ON Customer_Master.Cust_ID=Booking_Details.Cust_ID) ON Room_Master.Room_ID=Booking_Details.Room_ID) INNER JOIN Room_Status ON Room_Master.Room_ID=Room_Status.Room_ID) INNER JOIN Booked_Rooms ON Booking_Details.Booking_ID=Booked_Rooms.Booking_ID ;

This is the new query which I generated.
    I understood why the form was empty, as I did not dragged the fields on the form.
    Data from Booking_Details is displayed on the form when I am navigating.
    I tried to add a button for new record, then it says cannot go to specific record.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It looks like you are dealing with an "unupdateable" query, which is why you cannot add new records.
    Take a look at this write-up here, which explains conditions that prevent a query from being updateable: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac....aspx#BMcannot

Query for form

It looks like you are dealing with an "unupdateable" query, which is why you cannot add new records.
    Take a look at this write-up here, which explains conditions that prevent a query from being updateable: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac....aspx#BMcannot
    I read this article and followed.
    But with no results.
    Such as small database, but not finding any appropriate solution to solve this.
    Will macros be used to design such type of form.
    If possible can u show me a form designed with a Query based on the tables provided.
    As, I am not getting any site, which show how to design such forms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.