accessn00b2 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Create/Use/Design report templates

(really novice access user here)

i am working with a database working from scratch and i am interested in creating a report template. what i did was use the default report form and changed a few colors and logos and added a sum row at the bottom. i want to be able to use this particular design for all reports i generate from each table (i am assuming we can do this by just clicking the report button on the ribbon and access will know to use this "design' instead of the default. is this possible?

thanks!

if not, how else can we tell access to use a certain report template for different tables?

June7 is offline VIP
    As far as I know, Access does not have a facility for object (tables, queries, forms, reports) templates. The developer (you) just has to know which report you want to replicate. That's what copy/paste is for.

However, this makes me wonder if your db is properly structured. Why would the same report design be used for different tables? Do you have multiple tables with identical field structure that separate data by some category?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    As far as I know, Access does not have a facility for object (tables, queries, forms, reports) templates. The developer (you) just has to know which report you want to replicate. That's what copy/paste is for.

However, this makes me wonder if your db is properly structured. Why would the same report design be used for different tables? Do you have multiple tables with identical field structure that separate data by some category?
    ah that's a bummer. might have to re-think my strategy then if that is not the case. the default design isn't that great..

yes. my table design is set up so that all the tables are identical but are separated based on person (ie person A has field 1 and field 2 for date range, and person B has field 1 and field 2 [same fields but for values are for different person] for date range). is this an improper design for access?

June7 is offline VIP
    Conventional structure would be one table with another field for the PersonID then queries could have filter criteria to return records for desired person.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Conventional structure would be one table with another field for the PersonID then queries could have filter criteria to return records for desired person.
    is it possible that i send you my access file? (names redacted of course) to see if my structure is "correct?"

June7 is offline VIP
    You can attach to post. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

You can attach to post. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    thanks!

Database Timecard.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    Your design does not follow conventional structure and will cause you lots of trouble. Review http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...es-208217.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.