defaultuser909 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Talking Left-Outer Join on Non-Unique ID

Hi,

This may be a relatively simple issue to solve but I have not been able to search for this properly to find a solution. But here goes...

I am working in a special scenario where I am manipulating a line-by-line transactional table. In other words for each order, there are multiple rows, one for each item that was ordered, with the same orderid. (This file is being uploaded to a 3rd party analytics software that requires the data to be broken down at this leve) Now that I have this file formatted, I need to attach some additional columns that are joined by the non-unique orderID. The image below illustrates what I am trying to accomplish:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot20120903at122.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	9034

The main table (table 1) has the non-unique orderID's and the other tables I am attempting to join the additional columns from can either have a) a unique ID as shown above or b) potentially a non unique ID has well. Thus, this is more like a VLOOKup. I need each row within table 1 that has a matching order ID within another table to have that corresponding value filled in.

Does this make sense on how I am explaining this? I am using Microsoft Access 2010 (on a virtual machine for mac)

Thank you!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Looks like a simple SELECT query that joins parent and child tables with 1 to many relationship. Very basic Access functionality. Use the Access query designer. Access help has guidelines.

However, only one child table with many related records could be included in the query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

defaultuser909 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    June7,

Thank you for your help! Thankfully there are only stupid questions, not stupid people...or wait...?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.