ketbdnetbp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Multi-lingual labels???

I'm working on a form where the instructions need to be multi-lingual. My initial thought was to delete the attached labels for the controls, add stand-alone labels adjacent to the appropriate control, and set their value based upon a user selected language preference when the form is loaded/opened. The language and text values for the labels will be stored in two lookup tables.

tblLanguage
    LanguageID - Long - PK
    LDescription - text

Data would look like:
    1 English
    2 Spanish

tblLanguageDetails
    LDID - long - PK
    LabelNO - long
    lngLanguageID - FK

LabelText

Data would look like:
    1 1 1 "Information"
    2 1 2 "Informaci" & Chr(243) & "n"

I have tested putting "Informaci" & Chr(243) & "n" into a string variable, using VBA, and it returns the desired results. Informacion, with an accent mark above the "o". Additionally, I have found references for all of the ASCII characters needed. Therefore, conceptually, I think I can get this to work. However, before I proceed down this path, I would ask, Is there a better or alternative way? And, secondly, what pitfalls might I encounter under the aforementioned scenario, other than having to deal with the "".

Any and all help will be welcome.

Thanks,

Jim

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Options:

VBA code to set Caption property of labels (could have used the labels associated with controls) or Value of unbound textboxes. Use looping code and recordset to retrieve terms and set property. Which language do you want labels to be set up with as default? Just need the code to run if other language selected.

Expression with DLookup function in textbox ControlSource to retrieve appropriate language term. Domain aggregate functions can be slow on forms and reports. Easy for non-programmer.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ketbdnetbp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    June7 - Thanks for the reply and insight.

Unbound textboxes!! I hadn't given much thought to unbound textboxes w/o labels (old bad habits) but, following your reply, I did some further research and currently think that they may be the best alternative because of the number of properties available.

Appreciate the help.

Jim

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.