G0zzy is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Multiple database queries

Hi all,

I've just taken on the production of various Management Information reports and I need some help with the Access Databases I've inherited!

We use one database to run a variety of query reports from a number of other linked databases. However, the problem I have is that we now have to password protect the other databases, along with the individual data tables within these databases.

The database we use to run the query reports is now unable to access the password protected databases. I've been through the security options and various other options, but can't seem to find where I can modify the queries to prompt for the passwords.

Please excuse my inexperience with the software, but is anyone able to explain how to overcome this issue? I'm using Access 2003.

Many thanks!

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In theory you cannot pasword protect individual tables/queries only the database as a whole. To do this open the mdb exlcusively and select Tools - Security and enter the password.

Next Open up the front end and again go to tools and select Linked table manager. Select all tables and click Ok. It should prompt you for the database password. Enter it and click ok.

This will now relink the tables using the password protection protocol.

Repeat this for all other mdbs that you are linking to. Remember to make backup first incase anything goes wrong.

David

G0zzy is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for your help David.

Setting the passwords is fine, but when I try to use the linked table manager, it's blank! Can you think of any reason why this would happen?

If I hit F11 and view the tables, I can see a load of linked tables, but none of these appear on the 'linked table manager'.

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Try creating a new mdb and see if you can link the tables there. If you can then bring all the other object in to create a new front end.

G0zzy is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Cheers fella. I rebuilt the database from scratch (there was a lot of stuff on there that isn't used anymore anyway) and now it all works fine. Thanks again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.