Modify_inc is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Puzzling glitch in Access: Left most field comes and goes

Sorry about the title, not sure of best title for what I am experiencing. I am having an issue with Access 2010 and it's about to get the best of me.

It's almost like it's a glitch of some sort. I'm using the Contacts Web Database template provided by MS. It works and the contact/attachment box is shown for the Main and ContactCard Form but ONLY when in Layout View and ONLY if I drag or resize a field or row and then hit the undo button, does the contact/attachment box appear. It's mysterious and extremely aggravating! Saving the form does not help either. When I save and close the form, and reopen, my contact/attachment image is gone again. I can't figure it out, I even rebooted the PC hoping it was just an isolated incident but it continues.

The one thing I did notice is working in Layout View, I can scroll way outside of my design by clicking with the mouse and holding, and dragging left or right. It finally stops at about 3 times the length of what my design should be.

I'm still learning and haven't figured out how to create borders, or margins to keep the empty cells from extending rightward. I can drag the outside orange border, but it's like a window on a PC, I can still scroll inside the smaller window using the mouse as I mentioned above. I'm having no luck trying to set a perimeter around my design.

I think that might have something to do with it displaying the attachment picture randomly but I could be wrong. I tried deleting the empty cells, but since it's tables and not Excel, I'm not having any luck with that approach.

The ContactDetails Form has no issue with the contact/attachment picture, it is only with the Main and ContactCard Form which coincidentally is the two forms I have made many changes too, adding new cells, etc.

Update: Just noticed also on the left hand side where the contact/attachments picture is randomly displayed, that the time stamp date is cut off for the Comments. It is only displaying the PM or AM, and not the whole date and time as it usually does for the comment section. Of course doing the steps I mentioned above, of resizing a cell, then pressing 'Undo' brings the picture and the whole time and date stamp. That's about 19 or 20 characters missing from the left side. I thought maybe I could live without the picture box, but missing the other details is not acceptable.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I downloaded the db template and not seeing issues you describe. Since you have modified the db, will probably have to provide yours for analysis.

Don't understand "keep the empty cells from extending rightward".

Not finding 'time stamp date'.

This template uses navigation forms, which I have never utilized. Requires me to accept concept that Access has rows, columns, cells, at least in the framework of a navigation form.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I downloaded the db template and not seeing issues you describe. Since you have modified the db, will probably have to provide yours for analysis.

Don't understand "keep the empty cells from extending rightward".

Not finding 'time stamp date'.

This template uses navigation forms, which I have never utilized. Requires me to accept concept that Access has rows, columns, cells, at least in the framework of a navigation form.
    Hi,

The template works fine without any modifications, as your seeing from a fresh download.

You will not see the Time Stamp Date in the Notes section until you leave or create a comment. It will stamp or display the the Date/Time of the comment.

Yes I assumed my description of the empty cells expanding to the right would probably be confusing.

When I mentioned earlier that I was able to move 3 times over the length of the design, what I was trying to say is that I have many, many cells (blank cells) to the right of where the design borders or edges should end. Basically I can click on a label that is on the far left side, like the 'First Name' and drag it to the right about 3 times past where I would like my border or edge to end. When I try to delete any of the many empty columns that are on the far right, they still remain. If I try to resize any of them from the far right back to the left, they retract back when I let go of the mouse. The orange square border that outlines the whole design I can move it to the left and align it to the end of the 'Address Book' which is the label at the very top of 'ContactCard'. Though it appears like my border is defined, if I click on a label, like 'First Name' again and drag it to the right, it doesn't stop at the orange border, but continues to move to the right or pan to the right about the distances of 3 times what the design should be in width.

I hope that gives you a better understanding or visual of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks again
    Mike

Also is there anyway to change the Quick Reply window size here, it is extremely small and compact and only displays six lines at a time? Also at times is very slow to scroll in the 'Quick Reply' box.

June7 is offline VIP
    The empty 'cells' appears to be the nature of Datasheet view. What determines how many empty cells show I don't know but there is nothing to delete. I can drag a field only to the end of the actual fields.

Problem I have with web databases is can't open objects in Design view. I have never built one.

Where is 'Quick Reply' box?

I cannot replicate your issues. It is fruitless for me to try to analyze your issues with this db.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    The empty 'cells' appears to be the nature of Datasheet view. What determines how many empty cells show I don't know but there is nothing to delete. I can drag a field only to the end of the actual fields.

Problem I have with web databases is can't open objects in Design view. I have never built one.

Where is 'Quick Reply' box?

I cannot replicate your issues. It is fruitless for me to try to analyze your issues with this db.
    At this time the form has generated an error and will not open, fortunately I had a backup, and the backup is prior to this incident so I am no more concerned about it (unless it happens again)

The 'Quick Reply' I was referring too, is in the forum here. When you click the 'Reply With Quote Button', it then opens the 'Quick Reply' box.

I was just asking if there is away to make it bigger, because on mine it is only about six lines and using the scroll button is awkwardly slow at times.

June7 is offline VIP
    Oh, yes, click the lower right corner where you see the 3 diagonal lines and drag down.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.