mcbowlby is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Registration Database with Family and Individual Tables

I am trying to build a registration database that has data on families and the individuals inside those families. There is an individual table (Refugees) and a family table (Family). I want to be able to enter a new family (i.e. with head of household data) and have that head of household individual automatically populate as a record in the individual table. I also want to be able to enter a new individual in the Refugees table and select whether he's a head of household or not. If he is a head of household, I want his record to automatically populated as a record in the family table.

Essentially, I would have one registration form where I could enter the individual and select a pre-existing family to associate them with. Alternatively, on the same form, I could enter a new individual tied to a family that is not already in the family table and it would automatically become a new family. I hope that makes sense. Is my structure ok (see attachment)? What is the best way to design this? Are there any templates available online that could assist me? I was unable to find any.

Thanks,

Matt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Relationships.jpg  

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Think I would have a Family table and Individual table and still put the HOH in the Individual table. Include a field for 'Relationship' with values like: HOH, Spouse/Partner/Co-HOH, OtherDependent.

Can't really read that image details. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.