lkevinc42036 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Data incorrect from lookup field

Hi, I have a table with a lookup field listing values from a second table. The second table has two fields, a sort order which numbers them alphabetically, and a LSD title. The dropdop box from the lookup field only displays the LSD title, but sorts them numerically by the sort number. I made a query to link information from the firt and second table, yet when I make the final report, it displays the sort order instead of the LSD title. Does anybody know why this is?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You can determine the Sort order right on the Report itself, so add it in there, and that will overrule any other sort order that it may have inherited from a source object.

SteveF is offline Generally AccessAble
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    What Joe says in regards to reports is absolutely true: If you need a specific sort order for a report, set in the report's properties; reports tend to ignore any other sorting but their own.

In addition, please, please, PLEASE re-design your database to NOT use lookup fields. Use multi-table queries instead to supply the looked-up value(s) for reports; list or combo boxes on forms to display the readable values from the lookup table but store the data value in the main table. It will save you endless headaches down the road if you make this change now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.