vikasbhandari2 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Queries Locking the Back End Database

Hello All,

I tried to search the issue, and found it as well but couldn't understand it very well. Sorry about that but since I am a beginner in Access, so I expect you will forgive me to ask it again

I have created two DBs, one Back End, and one FrontEnd. My FrontEnd contains all the UIs/Forms, Linked Tables, and the queries fetching data from linked tables, and the Back End consists of all the Tables.

Now, in my Model, the BackEnd DB will be stored in a common drive and will be accessed by multiple users through same FrontEnd.

Now when I am trying to fire a query in FrontEnd (aka FE) DB, it is locking up the Back Up database. Even though I have set the RecordLock property to No Locks to query and the form.

Can you please suggest how to remove the locking? I couldn't very well understand the solutions provided by other threads here so any explanation would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Vikas B

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

What do you mean by "Locking up" the BE database, and how do you know it is 'locked'? If only one person is running the query that should not happen. However, if a query is not written correctly, it may appear to be locking the BE (and the FE as well), because the query takes a long time to execute.

Can you post more details, please.

John

Locking means, backup.ldb appears when I try to run a query through front end DB.

For example, I have a table called Building in BackEnd.

In FrontEnd DB, I have got table building as a LinkedTable. I have a query in my FrontEnd DB with name as lvMasterBuilding. Now when I am trying to run that query, it is locking up my BackEnd DB, which means an ldb file is automatically created. Ideally, I don't want to lock the DB just to fire the query in a multi user environment.

Thanks,
    Vikas

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

That ldb file does not lock the database. It is always created when a database is opened (which running a query does), and you cannot stop the file being created. The presence of the .ldb file does not prevent multiple users from opening the BE database at the same time.

Try running multiple users at the same time - I don't think you have an issue here.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Hi -

That ldb file does not lock the database. It is always created when a database is opened (which running a query does), and you cannot stop the file being created. The presence of the .ldb file does not prevent multiple users from opening the BE database at the same time.

Try running multiple users at the same time - I don't think you have an issue here.

John
    Lol. I am so dumb to believe that ldb means locking.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try and get back to you with my findings.

Thanks,
    Vikas

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

Actually, the .ldb file does contain information on locking of ojects (but it does not actually lock the database).

Here are a couple of links that explain it WAY better than I can(!):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299373 (Access 2003)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...005240860.aspx

John

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.