Long Tom Coffin is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 64bit

Using Validation rules to restrict certain types of data entry.

Using the (wonderful!) help I have recieved here, I've created a very good database for use in multiple departments here at office. Le Boss has declared herself pleased, but there is one more thing she requires.

There are 3 tables I am dealing with, each connected with pk's an fk's to each other. The first table is for cash Allotments we get from the government. the second is a table for Obligations, where we obligate funds from that allotment to specific businesses. The third table is for disbursements, where cash disbursements go out to those businesses from the obligated amounts from the allotments. My issue is that I need to be able to prevent end users from entering in monetary amounts into either the ObligationsAmount field in the Obligations table or the DisbursementAmount field in the Disbursement table that exceed the total amount of the AllotmentAmount in the Allotment table. If overages like that were to be posted and sent out, it would cause a deficit which would then precipitate an office wide SHTF situation.

Would I use a Validation rule to construct something like that? And if so, how would I construct it?

Thanks!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I don't think can use the ValidationRule property. Use VBA code in textbox AfterUpdate procedure. Code could use DSum function.

Problem with this kind of validation could arise if multiple users enter data simultaneously.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Long Tom Coffin is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I don't think can use the ValidationRule property. Use VBA code in textbox AfterUpdate procedure. Code could use DSum function.

Problem with this kind of validation could arise if multiple users enter data simultaneously.

June7-

Thanks for the advice! Only problem is I have no experience with VBA whatsoever. I'm looking at some online tutorials and trying to understand how VBA works in the meantime. Would happen to have any advice/assistance for a new VBA user?

Thanks!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Microsoft has a lot of info.
    For starters
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010341717.aspx

Regarding your validation issue, correction, BeforeUpdate event might be better approach. Review:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.11).aspx
    In your case, the validation would be to retrieve data from tables and see if the additional data would exceed limit. This could use recordset or domain aggregate function (DLookup, DSum, DAvg, etc).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.