cchampagne17 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Multiple linked tables query

Hello,
    In my Access (2010) database, I have 4 linked tables (from other Access databases) that I would like to feed into one table, or query. I've tried using the query design but can't seem to get it right. Each table has the following columns:

Date, ColorID, PartCategory, PartSubcategory, MilThickness, Painter, Paint Line, Pre/Post Cure, Reading Number, Inspector, Time.

Like I said before I would like to be able to see the data records of all 4 linked tables in one table or query... but I would need instructions on how to do this.. Thank you!!

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If the tables are all structured the same, why are there separate tables instead of having all the data in just a single table? As you can see, it makes it much more difficult to work with.

You can combine records of the same structure from multiple tables/queries into a single query using a Union query. See here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010206109.aspx

Note that Union queries are NOT updateable.

cchampagne17 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    There are seperate tables because it is the central database. I had to create 4 seperate ones because they will be used in 4 areas and access doesn't allow a single database to be used by multiple users at different computer stations. These four seperate databases will be feeding data into one central database where it will house all the data from the 4 stations, and from there it will be feeding the information into excel. I need a way to have all of these linked tables (in the central database, linked from the other databases) to continuously feed into one table or query.. I tried using an append query, but that only copies the records and pastes them over and over.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I would recommend creating some of unique identifier to the table at the source level. Then, you should be able to use an Append Query, and only add the new records based on this unique identifier. You may want to make it specific to where it is coming from (i.e. Station Number + Date/Time Stamp or Autonumber, etc), to ensure there is no duplication between stations.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.