Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

to create another table to marry to customer and company when primary keys and ID's are already set up for them
    That's not what I meant. I meant that you should have one table to hold all companies. Right now you have 2, a companies detail table and a distributor table. I assume a distributor is also a company. Further in your contact table, you should only reference the company ID. You currently have both the company unique ID field AND the company name field. I would drop the company name field form the contact table because the company name is already in the company detail table. Having the company name in both tables violates normalization rules & can lead to data integrity issues.

In my earlier approach regarding companies and contact, I was just showing that some designers choose to handle companies and contacts within 1 table. But of course, that is a call made by the designer.

Carla C is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    ok, sorry my mistake. The distributor table is nothing to do with the company. The only two tables to do with the company is company details and contact details. These are the two I need to sort out. It probably would have been much easier if I had left the data in as you would see what I am trying to achieve here but we are a relatively new company about to hit the market and I simply just couldn't leave it in. Sorry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.