dhogan444 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

SQL Query and Form Control Source Issue

I have three tables

tblCustomers -lists customer info
    Fields: ID, Name

tblIncrements - defines increments
    Fields: ID, IncrementName, IncrementDetails

tblIncrementHistory - keeps track of which increment the customers is and was assigned to, the customers can only be assigned to one increment, but I have to keep track of their past history. The way I know their current history is it is the most recent assigned increment.
    Fields: ID, CustomerID (relationship), IncrementID (relationship), ChangeDate

Now, on my Customer form, I want to query the increment name of the increment they are currently assigned to and list that in a txt box. Here is the query I attempted to write, which seems to work okay when I do it in SQL as a test query and change the forms Customer ID to "2":

SELECT TOP 1 [tblIncrements].[IncrementName]
    FROM tblIncrements, tblIncrementHistory
    WHERE tblIncrementHistory.CustomerID=2 And tblIncrementHistory.IncrementID=tblIncrements.ID
    ORDER BY [tblIncrementHistory].[ChangeDate] DESC;

I am not sure how to pass the form's current Customers.ID variable into the SQL query, and think that is why I am having a problem. However, when I attempted to use this code in the text box with 2, I get #Name? in the text box, so I am really confused.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Actually, you should use an aggregate query to get the most recent increment change date for each customer. Something like this:

query name: qryMostRecentIncrementDate
    SELECT tblIncrementHistory.CustomerID, Max(tblIncrementHistory.ChangeDate) AS MaxOfChangeDate
    FROM tblIncrementHistory
    GROUP BY tblIncrementHistory.CustomerID;

Then create another query that joins the above back to the increment history & increments table

query name: qryCurrentIncrementForEachCustomer

SELECT tblIncrementHistory.CustomerID, tblIncrementHistory.IncrementID, qryMostRecentIncrementDate.MaxOfChangeDate, tblIncrements.IncrementName, tblIncrements.IncrementDetails
    FROM (qryMostRecentIncrementDate INNER JOIN tblIncrementHistory ON (qryMostRecentIncrementDate.MaxOfChangeDate = tblIncrementHistory.ChangeDate) AND (qryMostRecentIncrementDate.CustomerID = tblIncrementHistory.CustomerID)) INNER JOIN tblIncrements ON tblIncrementHistory.IncrementID = tblIncrements.IncrementID;

With respect to your form, I would recommend using a DLookup() function as the control source for the text box. The Dlookup() would reference the qryCurrentIncrementForEachCustomer.

I've attached a database to illustrate.

Also, I would recommend using a more descriptive field name for the ID field in the tblCustomers. Also, the word "name" is a reserved word in Access so it should not be used as a table or field name.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for helping me, this was perfect!

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    You're welcome.

Okay I am revisiting this thread because I am having some issues. The dlookup is very slow, I have 3000+ records and as I scroll through the records it takes its time to do the lookup. The other problem I have is I am trying to filter based on the dlookup value, which I was able to successfully do by using the filter property in the form, however this is VERY slow and takes a minute or two for it to filter. Any ideas?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Yes, the domain aggregate functions can be slow. You could filter out some of the older records from which the aggregate query pulls its info by adding a date criteria. Another option is to base your form on a query that joins the table to the query that the Dlookup was obtaining its data, but that might cause the recordset to become un-updateable which would mean that you would not be able to edit the records in the form. Are you using the form for editing as well as viewing records?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.