RedGoneWILD is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

combo box question

How do you prevent a combobox from being entered? For instance, I have a combobox that contains two values; a "1" & "2". Additions are turned off, so if I were to enter a "3", it tells me that's not possible. But I don't even want the user to be able to enter the combobox. I just want them to be able to select the down arrow to pick either "1" or "2". Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Additionally, I have an after update event for the combobox. Depending on if a "1" or "2" is selected, a different message box pops up. However, If the value is already "1" and the user selects the combobox and accidentally selects "1", I don't want anything to pop up since nothing has changed. Only when the value is changed from "1" to "2" or from "2" to "1" do I want the message box to show. I tried setting a variable to the value before the change happens, but that didn't do anything, or at least I did it wrong. Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: Generally the functionality works exactly as I want already, these are both very minor issues that I have.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Depending on if a "1" or "2" is selected, a different message box pops up. However, If the value is already "1" and the user selects the combobox and accidentally selects "1", I don't want anything to pop up since nothing has changed. Only when the value is changed from "1" to "2" or from "2" to "1" do I want the message box to show
    I assume you are using a If/Then. Test for ActiveControl.Value <> ActiveControl.OldValue
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

RedGoneWILD is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    thank you very much, will try that shortly.

Any suggestion on preventing the user from entering a different value, even if it's disallowed? I would essentially like the value part of the combobox to be locked and disabled like a textbox so an edit isn't even attempted.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.