hcl40 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Getting my data out

How do you convert ID tags back into the actual terms referenced .

What I have is a work order with a unit and parts on the units work order the all are listed as ID tags rather than actual names how can I convert those back to names to output them in order to be readable.

R_Badger is offline Knows a few tricks
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You need to disambiguate a bit.

Basically all you say here is 'how do you convert an ID to the human readable name.

Where are you looking at?

It may help to show your data structure ( I may be able to help with a sample SQL statement )

My guess would be that you are looking in a table, my tip don't.

As a rule
    Tables are for storing data
    Queries are for sorting and joining data
    Forms are for displaying data to the user and allowing user input.
    Reports are for displaying data suitable for printing.

My advice would be you probably want a query, joining on the appropriate field.

I hope you haven't fallen into the pitfall most people do of just calling it ID! This tends to make thinking about it or adjusting things later difficult.

Also hopefully your database will be normalized of course as again this tends to make things a lot easier!

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hcl40 View Post
    How do you convert ID tags back into the actual terms referenced .

What I have is a work order with a unit and parts on the units work order the all are listed as ID tags rather than actual names how can I convert those back to names to output them in order to be readable.
    what type of company do you work for? what's the line of business you're in?

what it sounds like to me is that, whoever set up your data flow system (in this case Access) forgot to remember that you, whatever your job duty is, can't do the job with given info as serial ID info.

if that's the case, I would contact your developer or the person in charge of your IT maintenance. it sounds like you need more access, or access to the type of data that's useful to you. that's just what it sounds like...

hcl40 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I can get a screen shot to upload otherwise i would show you I am developing this dbase myself for use in a repair shop. SO what Ive got is a parts list a unit list and a work order list when parts are added to the work order they are saved as their ID t number same with the unit and tagged to a specific work order. so the table which hold what went into a particular repair has all this info but only as the ID numbers i want to be able to pull out a finished work order with the actual unit and parts on the report not the ID members for the data does that make it any clearer?

http://www.4shared.com/file/tgevQnId/PCR_SERVICE.html?

you can take a look at the project here

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.