MintChipMadness is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Subform Control

I can't figure out how to set up my form so it works the way I want. I am creating a data entry form and I would like to have my child subform control (IDChild) to be auto filled with the parent control (IDParent) when it is entered. Also, I would like to keep the subform filtered by what is entered in the parent control. Hopefully someone can help me. I am sorry but I can't attach the database. Just FYI, I used the subform wizard to add a subform to the form (using parent table) I already created. Thank you for your help.

Tables and Fields

Boxes (Parent Table)
    Boxes.ID (Parent Field)

BoxContents (Child Table)
    BoxContents.[Box ID] (Child Field)

Forms

dataentry
    Parent Control = IDParent

BoxContents subform
    Child Control = IDChild

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If you used the wizard, it should have asked about linking fields. At this point, check the Master/Child Links properties of the subform control. That's what typically keeps a subform in sync with the main form.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    If you used the wizard, it should have asked about linking fields. At this point, check the Master/Child Links properties of the subform control. That's what typically keeps a subform in sync with the main form.
    Dear Paul,
    Thank you for your reply. The fields are linked correctly. I just wanted the child control on the subform to be updated as new records are entered on the parent form. To clarify, when a new record is created I want the IDChild control to autofill with the ID field that was created for the new parent record. I have to select what parent ID to link to in the child when I already entered that on the parent form.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Perhaps I'm not understanding your structure. If the master/child links are set, the subform should automatically populate with the ID field from the parent when you create a new record in the subform.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Perhaps I'm not understanding your structure. If the master/child links are set, the subform should automatically populate with the ID field from the parent when you create a new record in the subform.
    That is true. When I view the Form with the subform and cycle through the main forms records, the subform will change to related data of the parent field. What I am trying to do is make it so when I am creating a new record using the form, the form will automatically fill in the parent fields information (When Entered) into the child field area of the subform. The problem is when I create a new record I have to fill in the child fields information and I would like to save time and not do that since I when I am creating a new record, I will always be filling in parent and child information at the same time.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Am I reading this correctly; you want the parents contact information, i.e. phone number, address, etc., also entered into Fields in the child's record?

If this is your intent, go into Properties - Data of the Subform Control and add/link those Fields, as well as the ParentID field.! You're not limited to one Field when linking the Form/Subform, you can enter multiple Fields.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Am I reading this correctly; you want the parents contact information, i.e. phone number, address, etc., also entered into Fields in the child's record?

If this is your intent, go into Properties - Data of the Subform Control and add/link those Fields, as well as the ParentID field.! You're not limited to one Field when linking the Form/Subform, you can enter multiple Fields.

Linq ;0)>
    Thank you for your reply Linq. The parent field is already linked to the child field in the subform properties but it still doesn't autofill when I create a new record and enter something in the parent field. If I completely fill out the parent form and then look at the field that is linked in the child, it is not filled out. It is null. My problem might be a limitation in access but I can't be certain. Looks like I will have to fill out that field by hand or figure out some sort of update query to get around the data entry.

It makes sense why I wouldn't be able to do this. If I associated the child record with an incorrect parent record, I should be able to change the child to the correct parent. I am just trying to get around that in my data entry form. Looks like I will have to enter it by hand or figure out an update query after all the data is entered.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Since your description runs counter to the way Access is supposed to work, in this situation, I suspect you'll need to ZIP the file up and attach it here for us to look at, if we're to help you.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Since your description runs counter to the way Access is supposed to work, in this situation, I suspect you'll need to ZIP the file up and attach it here for us to look at, if we're to help you.

Linq ;0)>
    Dear Linq,

I created a new database that I would be able to attach to this forum and it worked exactly the way I wanted it to. It looks like my problem was due to something I did on my other database. Maybe I changed something I shouldn't have. I'll look into it. I am guessing I need to redo the relationship and then create a new form. Thank you for your help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.