jtolsma is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Lightbulb Ideas for changing hours from daily to weekly to accumulate vacation

I am looking for some ideas on how to put this together.
    I am building an attendance database. The attendance data will be inputted at a daily level. That is working fine and the hours are calculating correctly. The next thing I need to do is create a Table (maybe) that will show the total hours worked in a week. The purpose of this, and the reason I don't want a report, is that the employee will accumulate vacation based upon the numbers of hours worked per week. I will want to be able to show a running total on the vacation, and will eventually create something to allow them to deduct from those vacation hours when they are used.
    Right now I am just unsure of even the best way to start this, so I am looking for a little direction or ideas from you all.
    Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
    Jessica

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Not necessary to save to table. A query can calculate weekly totals. Need to create a field in query with an expression that can be used in GROUP BY criteria.

WeekNum: DatePart("ww", date value)

will generate a week number based on the year. It uses the Jan1 default as first date of year. So the weeks at each end of year will not always be 7 days. Do you want to prorate leave earning for those 2 weeks? If not, consider:

DatePart("ww", date value, , vbFirstFullWeek)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jtolsma is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks. Assigning a week number to everything helped. I am hoping that gave me the start I need to create the weekly totals and assign the parameters related to earning vacation based on those totals.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.