GAccess is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Forms designated for edit only

Hi All,

I have been searching throughout the interwebs and cannot find what I am looking for.

Can anyone give "sophisticated" suggestions on how to create forms designated for editing a table only. I want to avoid subforms where the table shows and the user has to manually enter information within the table.

I was thinking of copying forms , but then I do not know how to tie it to a table simple for editing purposes.

Please help!

I am just looking for ideas.. be as abstract as you would like.

PRMiller is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by "sophisticated" (and why did you put it in quotes)? You mentioned that you had thought about copying forms, which indicates that you have existing forms. If so, what do those forms do? How did you create them?

I placed "sophisticated" in quotes because I am not sure if what I am looking for would be deemed sophisticated by those who have programmed longer than I have. The forms that I want to copy are forms used to enter data. The kind of information in those forms are locations, transportation style, vin numbers, title information on the cars (buyers), dates, inventory. For instance:

Form 1 would have locations , transportation style
    Form 2 would have car type, number available in inventory, date sold, date received, Vin Numbers
    Form 3 would have title information(buyer name), License plate, Vin Numbers

not that the additional detail matters but form 2 and 3 are connected to two diff tables that have a one to many relationship relationship.

all i would like to know is how to create forms specifically used to edit existing data within tables. Can you help?

Anybody ?

PRMiller is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    That makes sense, just wanted to get a better idea of the nature of your request. You can use the forms wizard if you'd like a quick way to create that form. In the object window, click the name of the table you would like your form to edit so that it is highlighted. Then, in the Create pane of the ribbon, click the Form button. This will create a form that defaults to the typical Access design scheme. If that's all you need, you can save it and use it going forward. If you'd like to make changes to the color scheme, font sizes, control layout etc, make a copy of your new form and then open it in Design view and start playing.

Does that help?

Thanks for getting back to me PRMiller... I really want the edit form to look like the originally made form so I made copies and am currently altering names and parameters set for edit only. Didn't want to start from scratch just to create a form that will only edit.

TG_W is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Look at frmInventory in the database attached. It is connected to the tables and allows for edits. It is all one form with search boxes in the header. This avoids subforms and should allow for what you want.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TG_W; 05-09-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Misread Op

TG_W is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I forgot to mention to go to the Data tab in the Property Sheet and set "Allow Additions" and "Allow Deletions" to "No" in the forms if you only want to allow edits but not allow users to add new lines or delete lines.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.