rck3 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Combo Box display on report

Ok so I am working through a report, I have a query set up that pulls all the data but when I run a report I get some odd displays. There are 3 combo boxs in my form. The report shows that combo box with all the options and the user selection is highlighted. I only want to see the selection not all choices.

In trying to find an answer I saw to create a hidden text box so I created a new field in my table App_Hidden and in the form text box I put =[Forms]![Employee_Time].[Applicant]. The odd thing is when I use the form it populates that hidden box (I dont have it hidden for testing) but when I goto the table it does not save that entry. Any ideas or is there an easier way to disply my combo box selection in the report? Thanks

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    You shouldn't use a combo box on a report; instead, it should be a text box. Do you have the field defined as a lookup field? If so, this is considered to be a bad option.

See "The Evils of Lookup Fields in Tables" at http://access.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

rck3 is offline Novice
    No, no lookup field. What I have right now is the main form with employee data and then a subform with combo boxes to select project tasks. I want the report to display this. The query does and when I run a report off the query it comes up with all the data but those combo boxes show up with all options and the selected highlighted. What is the best way to address this? From what I read it was to have the hidden text box pull the selection from the combo box (=[Forms]![Employee_Time].[Applicant]) then use the text box for the report. That equation will display the data but doesnt save it to the master time table.

rck3 is offline Novice
    The thing that confuses me. If I bring up my subform in datasheet view I can see all my data and that hidden app field is filled in but in the actual table the subform populates it is blank. Not sure why

rck3 is offline Novice
    Ok so let me know if this will cause an issue. I realized that I could change the box type in the report. I thought it was defined by the actual table but when I update the report box type it does change anything else and seems to resolve the issue?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Now I'm really confused.

No, no lookup field. What I have right now is the main form with employee data and then a subform with combo boxes to select project tasks. I want the report to display this.
    Have you tried a report/subreport??

The query does and when I run a report off the query it comes up with all the data but those combo boxes show up with all options and the selected highlighted.
    I haven't had a query with combo boxes since a combo box is a control on a form.

What is the best way to address this? From what I read it was to have the hidden text box pull the selection from the combo box (=[Forms]![Employee_Time].[Applicant]) then use the text box for the report. That equation will display the data but doesnt save it to the master time table.[/QUOTE]
    Why would you expect a report to save data to a table?

Would you post a jpg of the forma and report?

rck3 is offline Novice
    No sorry, I wasnt trying to enter data via a report. I figured it out. I did not know you could change the field type just on the report and not have it affect the table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.