mb1234 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Updating form after adding fields to its related table

I find myself creating a new form each time I decide to add a new field to its related table. I always wait to create the form until I think my table is complete, but sometimes I just end up needing to add more info. Is there a quick way to update the form to include my new fields?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Building form (or report) all over again just to add a new field is totally unnecessary.

Nothing quicker that I know of than opening in design view and adding control. Also, might have to modify the RecordSource first.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Add the field(s) to the table(s).
    Add the field(s) to the query. (I always use queries for form record sources)
    In the field list dialog box, (in design view) drag the field(s) to the form.
    Ta-da.... the new field(s) is/are added to the form.

(Note: I still use A2K because I hate the ribbon. So I can't tell you where to find the field list in A2K7/10)

June7 is offline VIP
    Can open the field list from the Design tab of the ribbon.

ssanfu, the ribbon isn't THAT bad! Not when compared to advantages of new features like image control with a ControlSource property. And A2010 expanded Conditional Formatting to 50 conditions and has intellisense popup tips in query designer. Of course, the multi-value field is a newbie trap.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 2K Access 2000
    June7, I've had to use Access/Excel 2007 at times. To me it is that bad. It takes up a lot of screen space and I can't find the commands I need. Compared to the A2K menu system, the ribbon menu is a real PITA.... too many clicks to what used to be easy. IF you can find the command. I've read the posts here and other forums about the pros and cons of the ribbon... to me it is just another thing Microsoft is trying to dumb down to the lowest common denominator (ala Works). I keep expecting Windows to end up with a single button mouse....

OK, end of rant. Bad day. But before I spend another ton of money buying Access2007/2010, I am going to have to evaluate Alpha5 or a Linux alternative. Access is a great program, but it is losing it's appeal.

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, the ribbon did take some getting used to, as does anything new. AutoCad also went to ribbon so resistance was futile, I was assimilated. Eventually I forgot what the menu setups were like. It is possible to minimize the ribbon so the tabs look like a single line of menu-like items and the ribbon drops down when one is clicked (drop on pass over would be nice). The Navigation pane sits at the left, always available and visible and not hiding behind objects and it can also be minimized.

Windows 2K Access 2000
    It is possible to minimize the ribbon so the tabs look like a single line of menu-like items and the ribbon drops down when one is clicked
    Tried that but the menus stayed large and didn't go back to the single line. (A2K7 - haven't tried A2K10). Maybe I missed a setting.

I know I could "get used to it", but it is such an *ugly* interface.. (IMO ) I know that if I stay working on databases I will be forced to "downgrade" (my view ) at some point, but I am going to "fight against the dying of the light" as long as possible. Maybe its because it takes me so much longer to get anything in A2K7.

If only MS had come to me and asked for input *before* they made the ribbon..... hahahaha, yeah right in my dreams!!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Using A2007 now at work and the ribbon minimizes nicely. Ribbon hides when something else gets focus. Don't know why the menu line items would be large.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.