mmart33 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Scheduling hospital staff beginning of shift form

Hello all,

I have a project I am working on and a user interface I need help with. Short and simple, I have a table with all the doctor on staff for a hospital. What i need is a form that pops up all the doctors on staff as button or clickable objects. I want them to pop us available (green color) or unavailable (grey color). I added an available yes/no option in the doctor table.

I would like this to be able to change availability by simply clicking on a doctor name and this would change the color and make the doctor available for use in a different form when assigning doctor's to a patient instead of a drop down of ALL doctors on staff whether they are available or not.

Thanks and hope it isnt too confusing.

TG_W is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Will the patient information be stored in the same table as the doctor information?

Regardless, you could set the Available Yes/No to update based on double-clicking (or single-click if you prefer) the doctor name with the code below.

Private Sub DrName_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
    If Me.Available = False Then
    Me.Available = True
    Else: Me.Available = False
    End If
    End Sub
    Last edited by TG_W; 04-19-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Coding added

No. The patient information will need the doctor assigned to it.

The doctor will not have the patient in its table.

How will the information be linked?

The doctors available will be used in another form when the patient is assigned a bed and a doctor.

I still don't know how to show ALL doctors on staff in a form and simply clicking the names in the form view.

A form is one thing while a table is another. Information might be shown on a form, but it typically has a table or query that populates it.

Is it possible for you to post the project once all private information is removed?

The table called doctors contains all the doctors at the hospital and their information. I also added a column called availability to it. I have this linked to a patient table/form dropdown to select doctors that are "available". Here is the deal. I want a viewable form/table/whatever to have all the doctors as a label or button. Meaning i want every doctor from the doctors table to be seen on the list or spread out on the form. When you click a name, the doctor fill in the box will change from grey to green to show available and viceversa.

When the doctor name is clicked in this DoctorAvailability form/table/whatever, it will update the doctors table as being available or not. And then full circle allowing the patient table to select from doctors available for the patient.

Basically a user interface to easily state who is available or not.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Ok. Can you upload what you have built so far to provide better, more concise guidance?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    ... when assigning doctor's to a patient instead of a drop down of ALL doctors on staff whether they are available or not.
    This is easy. Use a WHERE condition in the combo box.
    Something like
    Code:
    SELECT [Doctor].DoctorID, [Doctor].LName & ", " & [Doctor].FName WHERE [Doctor].Available = TRUE

I have a project I am working on and a user interface I need help with. Short and simple, I have a table with all the doctor on staff for a hospital. What i need is a form that pops up all the doctors on staff as button or clickable objects. I want them to pop us available (green color) or unavailable (grey color). I added an available yes/no option in the doctor table.
    Attached is an Access2000 mdb with two examples of how you could select/unselect doctors. One is a form with a list box. Using the list box, you can set the availability of several doctors at once. click on several name, then click a button.

The other example is a form where you can click on the available check box or the record selector to change the availability status.

I set up the attached database before seeing ssanfu's reply. Since you didn't post any other information you needed/wanted, I plugged a few things in myself.

The Doctor form shows the availability check. This can be set by checking the box or double-clicking the name. You can remove the box in the design view.
    If a doctor is set as available, the name will show in the Patient form. Patient form shows the Doctor Assigned, Patient Name, Room Number, and a Discharged check box. You can filter by doctor name, patient name, and whether or not the discharged check is true or false.

I also put explanations for most of the code, so you should be able to add or delete what you want.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TG_W; 04-23-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added database

Thank you both for the help.

TG-W. That is something I can definitely work with. Thank you so much

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.