JulieBright is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Help - trying to Filter on report

Morning, I hope someone can help me, Im sure this is real easy but my mind has gone blank. I have been working with the Northwind template and although I have the Invoice working as I want with the correct information, I want another report which shows the product(s) sold on an Invoice, sorted by the Supplier. Thats fine so far, but I cant find the 'filter' which the invoice uses so that it just shows the information from one order?

Where can I find the filter information/code for the Invoice and how can I copy it into my new Report.

Am I making sense? Help please for an idiot.

Robeen is offline VIP
    I want another report which shows the product(s) sold on an Invoice, sorted by the Supplier. Thats fine so far, but I cant find the 'filter' which the invoice uses so that it just shows the information from one order?
    I'm trying to understand what you're trying to do.
    Do you want to create a new Report that shows all the products on a particular Invoice -> Sorted by Supplier?

Where will the report be run from?
    Will it be run from a Form? Using some piece of information [Eg: Invoice Number] ON the Form?

If you can give us a few more details, there might be an easy solution we can suggest.

I apologise for not explaining myself properly.... From the beginning, I run a hotel, we 'sell' packages which include room, and activities, I price the package based on date and number of guests. Guest books package and I then have to 'order' activities from suppliers, giving details of what 'product'/activities have been ordered, name of customers and date activity is required. I then provide the customer with an Itinerary which shows date, time, number of guests and what activity(s) have been purchased. I have doctored the Northwind template, and it now does most of the above, I can calculate the cost of a package and having then created an 'order' the DB will produce an Itinerary based on that Order.

The Purchase Order part of Northwind doesnt really work for me, I have now got as far as producing a report from a query, which is currently listing all Orders and other information. But, like the Invoice Report which only shows details of one order, I want my new Report to show Name of Supplier, name of product booked, date, number of guests etc. for each Order.

It appears that on the Northwind Template there is a 'filter' but I havent been able to find out where this is located or how I duplicate it?

Hope that makes sense?

Robeen is offline VIP
    If I've understood:
    1. You want your report to open for only ONE order.
    2. You want the ONE order on the report to also show some more information - like Name of Supplier . . .

Here is one way you can get this done.
    Create a Query that has all the fields that you want to see in your report.
    In the Criteria row of the Order field put in something like this:
    [Order Number?].
    This is called a 'Parameter query'.
    When you run the query, it will prompt you for the Order Number.
    If you base your Report on this query [do you know how to do this?], you can add any field that is in the query to your report [do you know how to do this?].
    When you run the report, since it is based on the query, you will be prompted to enter an Order number - and then the report will only show details of that one Order.

If you want to run your report from a Form that already has the OrderNumber on it that you want the report to show details of, you might approach things differently:
    1. Don't add [Order Number?] to the criteria in your query.
    Instead, in the Criteria Row of the OrderNumber field in your query, you could put something like this:
    = Forms!YourFormName.NameofOrderNumberFieldOnYourFor m
    2. Have a button on the Form that Opens the report [you can use the Button Wizard to specify the report to open].

When you run the Form and click the button, since the report is based on the query - and the query is requesting the OrderNumber from the Form - you will only see data for that Order.

Let me know if you have problems! All the best.

Thank you, I will give it a go in my next quiet(er) period - (currently dealing with 20+ guests with another 30 arriving tomorrow)

Robeen is offline VIP
    I'm glad you're busy at the hotel! May business thrive and your quiet periods be few and far between!!

BerniceWeeks is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes sure if to answer to the points above I think that it would be better to say correctly - "yes"

BerniceWeeks is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes sure if to answer to the points above I think that it would be better to say correctly - "yes" for this statements: "1.You want your report to open for only ONE order.
    2. You want the ONE order on the report to also show some more information - like Name of Supplier".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.