Rick West is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Query - Design View

We recently upgraded to Access2010 and I've noticed that some queries (this one is an Append Query) will not show in design view only in SQL view mostly when there is a problem with the query.

Is there something missing from previous versions of Access I am not aware of? Did Microsoft drop this feature or something?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have no problem viewing Append queries in Design view. You might try rebuilding the query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    OK, I agree if everything is working correctly but you missed "when there is a problem with the query". So try this and you'll see what I'm asking.

Make 2 tables, Item and Cost. Item table will be only one column "Item" (primary keyed) with "123', "456", and "789", the Cost table will be item (Primary keyed) and cost so add the same three items and some cost for each one.

Now create a query (called "itemcost") to give you item and cost by joining item from the item table to item in the cost table. - Everything should work so far. Save the query, go back to tables.

Now, delete the item table completely and go back to the itemcost query - see if you can see it in design mode - nada only SQL. In Access 2003 you can still see it in design mode but the deleted table will show only the title, no fields.

I hope this makes sense, I've noticed a few others having the same issue but I can not find a good answer as to why this feature was dropped in 2010 or, if it was not dropped, where is it?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    It has been a long time since I used 2003 so my frame of reference was incomplete. Reading description in your second post does trigger a vague recollection of that behavior. Yes, in Access 2007 and 2010, if there is a major issue with the query it might open only in SQL View, if at all. At least, that has been my experience.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    It may have only been something Access 2003 offered but it sure was nice. I would show you at a glance where your query had gone astray.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.