lrobbo314 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Placed in a State

I created a database in 2003. The file was on a shared drive on a network and I used i shortcut to let more than 1 person access the db at a time.

When our office migrated to Windows 7 and Office 2010, I recreated it. I imported a lot of things, tables, queries, macros(VBA), but from scratch made new forms and reports.

I made a shortcut as I did before, but the problem is that if more than 1 person tries to access it they get the "DB has been placed in a state" message.

The shortcut reads:

Target: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE" "S:\CAX021A\CAXSUPER\Central Database\CDB7.accdb"
    Start In: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14"

I tried splitting it into a Front End and Back End. (Nothing)

Also tried to create a brand new database and just import all objects from the other database so that I would have a fresh file.

Needless to say that didn’t work either.

I’m looking online now but not having much luck there either.

I have a buddy who tried to help me out, (a little), and said it should be working with just the shortcut.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    You should never "share" a FE. Each and every user should have a copy of the FE on their computer, which is linked to the BE. Once again... Not a shortcut to the FE, a copy on each computer.

The FE (front end) holds all of the queries, forms, reports, macros, and modules.
    The BE (back end) holds only the tables - the data. The BE is on the server.

Here are some links:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010342026.aspx
    http://www.hitechcoach.com/index.php...atid=24:design
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10t...-database/1119

lrobbo314 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks for the reply. I did find that out about splitting the database. Since I know I should be able to accomplish this without splitting the database, I really want to find out how to resolve this problem without doing that.

But, a lot of people seem to think that it is a good practice and if it comes to that I guess that's what I'll have to do. If that is what I have to do, thanks for the links. I'm sure they'll come in handy.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    If only one person at a time is using the database, you don't have to split it. If there will be two or more people in the database at the same time, it is very strongly recommended to split the database. It you don't, you will corrupt the database. Not a question of "if", you will!

Access 2010 and Win 7 have a lot of security built in. Since I have Win XP and A2000, I can't tell you where to look, but I think it has something to with the UAC and/or being a trusted location.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.