Britty is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

ID Autogeneration with Prefixes

Hi! I'm working on a particular database that requires identification codes for several of its objects. The first part is generating an ID for a project which will be of the form YY-######. For Example, the first project of the year 2012 would be labeled 12-000001. I know that I could possibly have two seperate strings and concatenate them through vba but I'm not sure how to make this data an actual field rather than just an unbound text box. On top of the project identification code, there are up to 6 different types of reviews associated with a single project that should be label in a similar manner as the project. The six types of reviews are types such as: Building, Mechanical, Electrical, etc. and each of these have prefixes added to the project identification code that they are associated with. For Example, there is a mechanical review for the first project of the year 2012, the identification code would be M12-000001. Is this possible? The extent of my VBA knowledge is coding unbound text boxes. It would be much appreciated for as much descriptive help as possible... I'm in great need of this at work. THANKS!

jpihpa is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    What is the end result that you ultimately want to get to? Are you wanting the ID numbers to be automatically created or do you want to type them in yourself? Also, are you wanting an individual field for each of the numbers (i.e. M12-000001, E12-000001, etc.) with a form for each attached or what are you wanting for certain? I would love to help if I can but I'm unsure of what it is you are wanting once you've done the work...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.