lrobbo314 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Subform Layout

I am using Access 2010 and amhaving an issue with a subform. I recently added a new value to the subform and now when I open the form containing the subform, the newly added value shows up at the end of the subform.

I have moved the column from the end to the position that I want it in in Design Mode, Layout View, Datasheet View, and saved each time before I switch views again, but no matter what I do, the column goes back to being the last visible column and the column width adjustments that I've made revert back to what they were as well.

Please help, this is frustrating.

Jester0001 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Try this:
    Open the main form with the subform in Form View. Then, while in Form View, hover the mouse over the column heading in the subform that you want to move. Once the mouse cursor changes to a 'down arrow', select the column heading. Then you can move the column to the position you want in the subform.

For adjusting the column widths, hover the mouse cursor between the border of the column headings until you get a double arrow, then click and drag to the desired width.

Click save to save the new form layout. Close the form, and then open again to check that the changes have saved.

I tried this Layout View, but it didn't save the changes. The changes only seemed to save on the subform when in Form View. Let me know if this works.

No luck. I've tried that way before but gave it another go and just like before it goes right back to the way it was before I made the changes.

Another weird part about this is I have very similar forms with subforms, and on those, I can change the column position and width just as you described with no problem.

But, on this subform, for whatever reason, no matter what I try, it just keeps going back.

What gives?

Can you upload a copy of the database with just the form with subform? If the file size is too large to attach, you may need to zip the file.

I can't. It's got sensitive information in it. And the form is too complex to get a stripped down version.

Try this:

Go to File > Options > Current Database > Application Options

See if the "Enable design changes for tables in Datasheet View" is unchecked. If it is unchecked, then check the box, and then try your changes to the subform.

It was already checked. Which makes sense because like I said, I don't have this problem with other similar forms with subforms. I can change them freely. It's just this one that is throwing me for a loop.

Just a shot in the dark:

Is it possible to rebuild the form/subform? Since you can change other forms/subforms, it may be possible that something has become corrupted in the form/subform that you are trying to change. Other than this, I'm at a loss for another solution. Maybe someone else in the forum will be able to help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.