iarmereth is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Add existing record to a subform help!

Hi All,

I'm having real trouble trying to add an existing record to my subform instead of creating a 'new' record. My scenario is:

I have a branches table and form where my users can create a customer or branch - ie: KFC Auckland (Branch) or KFC Wellington (Branch) etc

I also have a Head Party table which is a one to many relationship to my branches. I can create a new head party and then go into my branches form select each KFC record one at a time and add it's head party - ie: KFC Head Office.

What I would like to be able to do is have the ability to create multiple branches, then when the user gets the head party info, open the head party form, create a head party and type the ID of each branch associated with the head party in a subform, thus linking them together.

I hope this all makes sense!

james

P.s
    i only chose KFC as my example as I thought it was recognised worldwide!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    How can you 'add an existing record? Did you mean 'add to an existing record on my subform'?

Not understanding the issue. Are you not able to create branch records before the head party info is known?

If the branch records can be created without the head party info, then couple ways can approach updating the head party info.

1. A form/subform arrangement can facilitate associating branches to the head party info. Main form bound to head party form, subform (Master/Child links not set), bound to branches filtered to records where head party field is null. Use a click event to trigger saving the head party ID to branch record.

2. Save head party info then open form of branches filtered where head party field is null, select head party from combobox.

3. Will the head party info and its associated branches all have the same prefix (such as the KFC in example)? If so, an UPDATE sql action might work.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.