I am attempting to construct an Access 2010 database, for Sharepoint. Is there a way to autogenerate a field with an autogenerated, sequential number according to a value selected in another field? Scenario is basically as follows. One table contains abbreviated codes (for document type). When an application is 'granted' (this will be selected in a drop down menu from tblStatus), I need a document number created that will combine the document code (taken from tblDocType, with the value selected either BC, RE, SA or ACE) with an automatically generated number. The number needs to be sequential so that the first 'RE' document will have a number such as 01, and the next RE will be 02 etc. This rule needs to also apply to the other document types. Is this possible? I know it can be done in Access (although I haven't done it - I'm a novice), by use of a third table with 2 fields - 1 containing the codes and other other a numeric field that updates by 1 each time an application is approved - as I've seen it. However it's beyond my novice capabilities and I don't know whether it is even possible for a web database. Can anyone enlighten me? Many thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	6941
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	6942
I am a database novice, attempting to build my first database.