djclntn is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Open to Last Record

I know how in a Form you can have it open up to a new Record. With queries, can/how you have a query open up to the last Record?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe set ORDER BY Desc?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sorry June, I don't follow you. In the query Properties, ORDER BY either has a 'yes' or a 'no'.

Wait June, disregard the last thread. I found ORDER BY in the Properites. 2-things happenned, it asked for a desc Parameter value & when I just clicked ok I didn't get all of the Records in vreturned

June7 is online now VIP
    Use the Sort row in the query grid instead of the Properties dialog. Select Ascending or Descending under the field or fields you want to control the sort order. Rearrange the fields used in Sort to determine the heirarchy of sort.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Again I'm sorry, I don't see how that's doing what I want. Are you more or less telling me that similar with Forms. Queries cannot be set to OPEN on the LAST Record?

Catch up with you tom...

June7 is online now VIP
    If the form has a RecordSource with sort criteria specified, that's what the form should show when it opens. Form and Report also have an OrderBy property that can be used to define sort order. Depending on the field, this will not necessarily be the last record entered. If the sort is done on the unique ID field (such as the Autonumber) then the last record entered should be the first record in a descending order.

Throughout today I pondered on if I should pursue this thread/question. Please, it’s not you who doesn’t understand, but most likely ME. 2-things which was in your last thread has me concern as to whether or not we’re on the same wave length. 1) You were making references to Forms & Reports when my question is specifically regarding Queries – can QUERIES be formatted to when upon opening it’s at the last Record –or- is this only done with Forms & Reports? 2) Yea, I could use sort descend to bring the last Record to top (first Record), but I have reasons why I’m not taking that route.

I hope that I’m not being too direct with you; I don’t mean to be.

June7 is online now VIP
    Regarding query: You can maybe filter so only the last record is returned. As stated earlier, that depends on the field used for the criteria. And would require a subquery or domain aggregate expression as filter criteria. Otherwise, there are no properties of query that can be set to control 'opening' to last record.

ok...thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.