winterh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Splitting Database

Hi All

I have split my database using the access wizards in 2010, but my problem is that the database before splitting had a number of mail merges set.

But as soon as the users have saved the front end to each PC I have to spend 30min on each front end setting up all the mail merges after moving the letters onto a local drive as the merg can not find the original location, is there a better way of doing this.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Never had to use mailmerge so just did some experimenting. Shouldn't you just open the Word document and reset the data source to the new backend table or to the query in the frontend?

Why not use Access reports instead if you want this all controlled from the Access end?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Tried to reset the word doc to the back end and can't get it to work over the network, but have not tried doing it to the query.

Not sure what you mean about using the reports within access, as the mail merg pulls data depending on what the user has selected.

Cheers

Hads

June7 is offline VIP
    Reports can be designed to output only the records that meet criteria selected by user. Where does the user make this selection, on an Access form?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The user makes a number of option via drop downs for letter text and address which are all inputted on a form, a second user hits a button which opens an word doc which has a query attached with all the mail merge information.

June7 is offline VIP
    Same question, why not use Access report to output the records? How long is the Word document?

Only about five pages, what would be the best way of doing this?

as I understand I can not build word docs via the reports in accces or have I just missed it :-)

June7 is offline VIP
    Access reports 'grow' to as many pages as is necessary to accommodate the number of records in the detail section but the total design length is limited to 22 inches, basically 2 pages. Not sure but I suppose a textbox with 5 pages worth of text could 'grow' to display the full text string. Or several textboxes. The 22 inch length limit can be somewhat circumvented by the use of subreports. However, Access doesn't have the text formatting capabilities available in Word. Merge might be the best approach after all.

No, Access reports do not 'build' Word documents, hence the merge functionality.

I still don't understand why splitting would cause issues with the mail merge. I would have to examine your files if you want to zip them up and provide for analysis.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.