Jamescdawson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Autofilling unwanted feature !

Afternoon everyone...

I have a form which acts as a day-book recording incoming items for processing. It records the incoming items into a table we'll call DayBook. At the top of the daybook input form I have a Combo field for the customer's name, which is populated from a drop-down list. The drop down list is pulled in from our Customer data table. Elsewhere in the form, I have a field for the informal 'short' name of the customer (used by drivers on the road - they don't want the formal name on their run sheets etc). The Informal short name is also held in the customer data table.

This is where things go wrong....

I recently changed the input process around so that the person completing the day book would use the Short Name field to select the customer record to be appended to the incoming item record. I put the short name is in a Combobox and the user selects the appropriate customer from the drop down which consists of Short names rather than the formal names as they did before. I then re-arranged the form so that the formal name field was populated and appeared on the form with a simple autofill instruction. (Some users of this form need to see the long name)

All seemed to work well until I had a look at the Customer data table this morning and found that every time we create a new incoming item record in the day book, the form now creates a new record in the customer data table as well as the daybook table ! I'm baffled - Only the short name is fed back to the customer table and only the short name field is being being populated on this new record.

I've messed around with it all day and I can't see how or why the short name being selecting from the customer data table is being used to create a new customer record. How do I stop the creation of a new record in the customer data table ?

Any suggestions ??

Help much appreciated

Jimbo

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Could probably figure this out quicker if you provided the project for analysis. Make copy, remove confidential data, run Compact & Repair, zip if still large, attach to post. Or upload to fileshare site such as box.com and post link to the file.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.