I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I inherited an Access 2003 ADP application sitting atop Sql Server 2000. A lot of the forms are bound to views and stored pocedures. I want to get away from loading entire tables / views onto forms and instead just load one record at a time. I am wondering how do you experts do this?

I can create a stored proc that takes a where parameter to return just one record, but I have just spent the day messing around with this and find that if I bind a form and its controls to the proc, the forms controls are not updatable.

I can create a view but this cannot take a where param so they tend to return multiple records. A form bound to a view is updatable only if I specify "SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT" in my view.

What I want to do is....for example
Load my customers form
Find a customer using a drop down or Customer ID search box
Load the form with only the one record found
Be able to edit/update it and save it
Id like to use binding as it then drives facilities such as value/oldvalue, isdirty and of course many form events (before update etc).
Also I may have a scenario where I use master/subforms etc
As it is, my customers form loads many thousands of records and then filters. This is done all over the adp and it's a hungry beast now in terms of processor and memory. It's very slow.

So, single records into forms....
How would you do this?