jonman03 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Pass form values to SQL JOIN operation?

Hey everyone,

This is a pretty detailed question, but need some help, if this is even possible (??)..

I have a form that displays my Access system objects (tables) in two list boxes. I am trying to pass these form values (the names of the tables) to a query so that the query is totally dynamic.

I have replaced the SQL code for the SELECT operation ([Forms]![mainform]![listbox1]) and ([Forms]![mainform]![listbox2]), however, when I try to replace the hard coded table names in the SQL JOIN section, with these form control references, I am getting a SQL error, after attempting to run the query, that says: "Syntax error in JOIN operation"

Can anyone please help? I am wondering if this is even possible within Access SQL? Thank you!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I think would have to use VBA to modify query definition with QueryDefs collection. Here is example from my project:

Private Sub btnExcel_Click()
    Dim qdfUser As DAO.QueryDef
    CurrentDb.QueryDefs.Delete ("UserQuery")
    Set qdfUser = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("UserQuery", Me.tbxFilter)
    DoCmd.OpenQuery "UserQuery", , acReadOnly
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdExportExcel
    End Sub
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jonman03 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I think would have to use VBA to modify query definition with QueryDefs collection. Here is example from my project:

Private Sub btnExcel_Click()
    Dim qdfUser As DAO.QueryDef
    CurrentDb.QueryDefs.Delete ("UserQuery")
    Set qdfUser = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("UserQuery", Me.tbxFilter)
    DoCmd.OpenQuery "UserQuery", , acReadOnly
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdExportExcel
    End Sub
    I'm not sure I understand.. Maybe it would be easier to provide my actual example. Here is the SQL code for the query I am attempting:
    Code:
    SELECT ref_Entity.Region, ref_Entity.[Entity Name], ref_ProductNames.[Product Name], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![lefttable].[Qtr 1 ($USD)]) AS [Mar Fcst Q1], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![lefttable].[Qtr 2 ($USD)]) AS [Mar Fcst Q2], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![lefttable].[Qtr 3 ($USD)]) AS [Mar Fcst Q3], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![lefttable].[Qtr 4 ($USD)]) AS [Mar Fcst Q4], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![lefttable].[Total Year ($USD)]) AS [Mar Fcst Year Total], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].[Qtr 1 ($USD)]) AS [Feb Fcst Q1], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].[Qtr 2 ($USD)]) AS [Feb Fcst Q2], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].[Qtr 3 ($USD)]) AS [Feb Fcst Q3], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].[Qtr 4 ($USD)]) AS [Feb Fcst Q4], Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].[Total Year ($USD)]) AS [Feb Fcst Year Total], [Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].Product_Type, [Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].Year
    FROM (([Forms]![formquerytest]![lefttable] RIGHT JOIN [Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable] ON [Forms]![formquerytest]![lefttable].Unique_ID = [Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].Unique_ID) INNER JOIN ref_ProductNames ON [Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].Products = ref_ProductNames.Products) INNER JOIN ref_Entity ON [Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].Entity = ref_Entity.[Entity Code]
    GROUP BY ref_Entity.Region, ref_Entity.[Entity Name], ref_ProductNames.[Product Name], [Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].Product_Type, [Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].Year
    HAVING ((([Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].Product_Type)="Existing_FDF") AND (([Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].Year)="FY12"))
    ORDER BY Sum([Forms]![formquerytest]![lefttable].[Total Year ($USD)]) DESC;
    In this example, I have replaced "Master_2012 March Fcst" with [Forms]![formquerytest]![lefttable]
    and "Master_2012 Feb Fcst" with [Forms]![formquerytest]![righttable].

The names of the list boxes containing the names of my tables are found on the form "formquerytest" with the names "lefttable" and "righttable." Also - Master_2012 March Fcst and Master_2012 Feb Fcst are 2 tables with identical structure, simply different data. It is NOT possible to combine these 2 tables into 1.

When I attempt to run the query, I get the error "Syntax error in JOIN operation" at the ! after [Forms] in the FROM clause.

Thank you!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I don't think an Access query can handle dynamic table referencing, just as cannot handle dynamic field referencing (tried that).

An SQL statement can be built by code and that SQL statement can be used to set the RecordSource property of form/report or RowSource property of combo/list box or the definition of a saved Access query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.