Field Restriction

I have created a database to record a collection I have. There are two tables; an Items table, and a Manufacture’s table. The item table has 8 fields in it with six being text, one being an attachment (Picture of item), and an auto-number primary key. The Manufacture’s table also has 8 fields; five text, with one being the primary key (Mfg name), one hyperlink to Mfg website, and one attachment (Picture of Mfg logo). Note: all pictures are imbedded.

The two tables are related by the Manufacture’s table’s primary key (Make), and the Items table “Make” field. The relationship type is the first one in the list and there is no referential integrity being reinforced. Though I have tried different combinations of these choices, it doesn’t make any difference to my problem.

Using the forms wizard I created a form that has two functions; 1) to view items, and 2) to enter items (new records). The form enlists all the fields from the Items table, and the fields; Phone, Link, and Logo from the Manufacture’s table.

The form performs as intended to view the items. The Make field successfully pulls over all three correct records of information from the Manufactures table. However, when I try to enter a new record I am unable. I can tab to the first unlocked object and enter the text, but when I try to tab out I get a messagebox that says, “Field cannot be updated.” The Help button suggests there is another user who has locked up a table and to wait until their done using it, or the field is Locked. Neither of these possibilities exist.

When I create the same form, but exclude the attachment field “Logo” from the Manufactures table, the form allows new record entry. Voila!

Why is this happening?

Nils

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.