Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    djclntn is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I followed your instructions at best. In the Custpomers Form I'm getting blanks. Look at the Customer Form

http://www.box.com/files/0/f/0/All%2...2432/0/comment

June,

I sort of taken a route that I know that you won't be too keen on, but for me it seems to be the simplist. In my Customers & Employers Table I made the 'City' & 'ZipCode' field as Lookup field referencing back to the Zip Code Table. I remember you telling me how you don't like nor use Lookup flds, but it seems to have acheive what I want. Now in my Forms the "City' & 'ZipCode' field can be used as sort of like Combo Boxes -- sort ofthe same idea. Unless you tell me that I 'm going torun into some real problems/trouble down the road I'll think I'm satisfy.

Please let me know if you're still interested in taking a look at my other project/dbs I posted.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The link you posted is not to the file on box.com, it just takes me to the box.com login page. I will look at your project if you can provide it. Is zip file small enough to attach to post?

I don't like Lookup in tables. On forms is another matter. Just haven't had much need for them. Think I have one field in my primary project where lookup alias is used.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June,

I'm sending youu back my Dealership dbs with the City & Zip. It you wat to take a look at the Customers & Employers Forms & see why I can't set up Combo Boxes for "City' & 'Zip"

Yes, last night I though to be content with setting the 'City' & 'Zip' fields in my Customers & Employers Tables as Lookup fields, however I would like to understand why I cn't create a Combo Box in the Customers & Employers Form refrencing to the Zip Code Table. Plus, I recall you saying something about when I choose a city the zipcode will coome up in the zipcode field...?

Try this link http://www.box.com/download/account/.../Dealehip3.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    I suggested a combobox where the user sees City, State Zip and makes selection for the correct combination but the zipcode of the selected row is the value saved to table. Then later on, queries can be built with a join of tables on the zipcode fields to retrieve the related city and state info. The zipcode is a unique identifer and can be used as a primary key.

I will try another download of your project tonight.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7 is offline VIP
    Still can't get that box.com link to work. This image shows where to get the box.com file url. Click the Share button to open the link box. Copy/paste the url.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	6704
    Is the file so big can't attach to post?

June7 is offline VIP
    No, that is same link as in post 16, same result. Are you copying the link from the browser bar? Copy the link from the box.com box as shown in the image. You must have specific file selected then click the Share dropdown. Note the structure of the url. Neither of the links you provided fit that pattern.

Hi June,

I might know what might be the issue of why I'm unable to attach the dbs directly to the post. When I completely exit outof the dbs in m Windows Explorer/folder I have a LACCDB file whichis my Dearlership dbs & CANNOT BE deleted. What does this LACCDB mean & how can I get rid of it? Nevermind, I just tried uploading another differenyt dbs & it also failed. It funny, the first few times I had no trouble uploading dbs files to post, but now everyone fails for some reason. I still would like to know about this LACCDB file? Did the last URL work?

June7 is offline VIP
    Your form/subforms for Customers_Employers and Employers_Customers are not proper.

Cannot have a subform when main form is in Datasheet view. You should have had a warning message when Employers_Customers orginally built and saved. Set main form to Single view and the subform will show. This arrangement should work. There is no combobox for the city/state/zip, only individual textboxes. I changed the zipcode textbox to a combobox. Properties:
    RowSource: SELECT DISTINCT [5-County Philadelphia].ZipCode, [City] & ", " & [County] & " " & [ZipCode] AS CCZ FROM [5-County Philadelphia] ORDER BY [City] & ", " & [County] & " " & [ZipCode];
    BoundColumn: 1
    ColumnCount: 2
    ColumnWidths: 0";3"
    LimitToList: Yes
    AutoExpand: Yes

The result in the combobox for EmplymtID 15 is: WAYNE, DELAWARE 19087; however, the City textbox shows Chesterbrook.

Customers_Employers form is not at all workable because this relationship is each customer has one employer. Subforms are needed when many records associate with the main record. If you want to display the employer related to customer, join tables in form RecordSource.

The lccdb file is a tempory file created by Access when the project is opened. It is the 'locking' file. Close the project and the lccdb should go away. Sometimes doesn't and should then be able to delete it if you have delete permission on the folder. If can't delete and you do have permission, try opening and closing the project again. Still won't go away or delete then Windows is perpetuating an Access process. Why this happens, don't know, it is Windows. Make sure all Access projects closed, open Task Manager (Ctl+Alt+Delete), delete all MSACCESS.EXE processes listed. Now delete the lccdb or open/close project. The lccdb should go away.

Size of your project when I downloaded was 12mb. I ran Compact&Repair and size reduced to 6mb. Zip still too big at 4mb (2mb limit) for forum but should always run C&R before any upload. Run C&R regularly, especially after siginificant design edits.

June,

Did you send me back an updated dbs? What is wrong I cannot find the dbs you made change too?

June7 is offline VIP
    No, did not upload db anywhere. Follow the explanation.

Okay, I made some of your suggested changes. You set me straight on the concept of subforms in regards thatsubforms are only are needed when many records associate with the main records. Now here's a question, in my Employers_Customer Form when I drop down any one of the 'Employers' records it only shows the 'Customer' (or Customers) associiated with that Employer. Great, that's what I want becuse more then 1-customer can work for the same Empolyer.

however, in my Customers_Vehicles Form when Idrop down any one of the Customers' Records all of the vehicles are displayed vs. just the vehicles assocciated with the Customer. Okay, thus far in my dbs I only have 1-customer purchasing 1-vehicle, but I may have a returning Customer to buy a second or ... vehicle(s). I'm unable to figure out how to have my Customer_Vehicle Form be like my Employer_Customer Form where when Idrop down a Customer in the Customer_Vehicle Form it'll only display the vehicles purchsed by that Customer?

BTW, I still have that other project query waiting on the back burner

June7 is offline VIP
    I should say the normal use for a subform is in a 1-to-many relationship. Rare occasion might see purpose for a subform that is not linked to main form records, just can't think of one right now.

Set the Master/Child links properties of the subform container.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.