NISMOJim is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

protect a database

I have created a database in Access 2007, and would like some help on how to go about protecting it. I have 4 or 5 people that need to be allowed to enter & make changes to the records, and a bunch more that should just be able to look at the records, but can't make any changes. I don't have a way to break the database down so just the front ends are on some machines like I've heard suggested. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You will need a table of users and then identify the user either by login/password or pull their network ID. Then based on the user ID manage what they can do. Review this for starters: http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...7t-406737.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

NISMOJim is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I checked out your link & came up with a simple solution if anyone wants to use it. I added a textbox on the main menu to act as a password. I also changed the "Locked" property of the fields on the forms that I don't want just anyone to edit to Yes. In the "On Open" property of the form, I added code that says if the textbox on the main menu equals "the correct password", then field.Locked = False. It may be a bit time consuming adding all the code if someone has a lot of forms with a lot of fields, but it is working out perfectly for me so far.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, can be time-consuming but that is basically the only way to manage accessibility to specific elements of forms. Glad it serves your requirement.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.