DarkWolff is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Subforms constantly refresh

I am having trouble with subforms constantly refreshing. I am building a form with a timesheet (first subform) and a sortable project list (second subform); each of the subforms is a continuous by default. However when both of these forms are on the form they start constantly refreshing. I commented out all the code on both subforms and the main form but it still does this. There are no macros either.

Does anyone know how I could fix this? As I said this doesn't seem to happen when only one of the subforms exists on the form, but I really need both to make this at all user friendly.

Edit: Forgot to specify this is in Access 2007.
    Last edited by DarkWolff; 02-28-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Are the two subforms based on Tables that have a relationship with each other?
    I worked with a sub form that was Continuous on one of my projects - but the Main form on which the Continuous sub form was placed only displayed one record at a time. The [Continuous] Sub Form displayed multiple records for the related It worked perfectly.
    I wonder if Access doesn't know which record of the first subform to display records from the second sub form for.
    I don't know if you can have two related subforms co-existing . . .
    ??

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeen View Post
    Are the two subforms based on Tables that have a relationship with each other?
    The subforms are sourced by queries that share a common table (the project list). The timesheet query also pulls in the timesheet table, and the project list is actually displaying the projects allocated to that staff member. Both displays need to display the name of the project along with it's ID and that only exists in the full project list.

I worked with a sub form that was Continuous on one of my projects - but the Main form on which the Continuous sub form was placed only displayed one record at a time. The [Continuous] Sub Form displayed multiple records for the related It worked perfectly.
    That's basically how a previous implementation of this form works. However staff keep on charging their time to the wrong projects so I'm trying to build-in what projects they are allocated for.

I wonder if Access doesn't know which record of the first subform to display records from the second sub form for.
    I don't know if you can have two related subforms co-existing . . .
    ??
    The setup I have does work except that it keeps refreshing. I'm actually rebuilding a database from the ground up because the person who coded the previous one did a lot of things inefficiently and the database is incredibly slow (and it's also not very user friendly). I've been trying to streamline things and think more about the user so I'm slowly and surely replacing everything piece-by-piece. However this is the most visible & requested feature as it is the one every user sees.

Thanks for your response.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Ok while doing some more testing I'm noticing that the issue still happens even after deleting either of the subforms. However the issue does not happen when the open the subform directly.

Edit: I found the issue! Both subforms had a master/child link to a field on the main form that was being sourced from a formula (it pulled an ID based on the staff member's name). However it was constantly updating, so the subforms were refreshing in response. I changed my code to populate that textbox when I needed it to as opposed to all the time and the refresh issue ceased.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.