pledbetter is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

"Shortcuts"

I am not new to Access but had stepped away from it for a few years and now I'm back. One of the concepts that is new to me is that of a "Shortcut". This database I inherited has a number of table, form, macro, and query shortcuts that do not seem to make sense. What is it a shortcut to? In the Windows environment, a shortcut is just a pointer to the real application's location. In this inherited application, the "shortcut" seems to be the actual object, not simply a pointer, as I cannot find the "original" anywhere. Can anyone give me some general pointers on the concept of "shortcuts" in Access? I've tried to research it myself but all the references I've come up with talk about a shortcut to the Desktop. Thes "shortcuts" reside only within the database and nowhere elste that I can figure out.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are you talking about the Navigation Pane? Go to File>Options>Current Database>Navigation Options. It is supposed to make it easy to group items together but to me as a long-time developer it just confuses the issue.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, in the Access 2007 Navigation Pane. Attached is a Word Document that has a screen shot. What are "Shortcuts" in this context?
    Attached Files Attached Files

The custom groups are created in the Navigation Options.

Windows XP Access 2007
    aytee111,
    I'm sorry but I don't understand your answer. I am asking about the concept of a "Shortcut" in the Access 2007 context and your answer has to do with Custom Groups?

Hmm, maybe we are on different pages here! "Client MasterCP" is the name of a custom group which contains shortcuts to all the database objects that have been assigned to it. Sort of like making a folder containing shortcuts to only those objects. That way you can group things not by object which is the Access default but by a name you give it. The way you do this is through Options.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Maybe. Here is another screenshot. "Client MasterCP" appears to be a table, and desite its icon being that of a shortcut, it appears to be the only copy of that table. There is no other table in any other group labeled "Client Master CP". The custom group is actually "Custom Group 1".

Duh - sorry!

Normal Access view (new versions and old) display objects by object type - tables, forms, etc. New to 2007 is a way to put it in groups as explained above. They are just shortcuts, however, not the real thing, as shown by the little arrow icon.

To get back to normal Access view:
    - click on the arrow next to the word Custom
    - select Object Type - this should display them in the old way, the real objects themselves

I hope this is what you are after!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Well that opens up a whole new set of questions. I'm thinking this methodology will go the way of "Clipit". Thanks for your help.

How does one post this thread as "Solved"?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.