WayneSteenkamp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Possible expression equation needed?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create a database for someone and there's a task I'm not sure how to do.
    Basically I want to enter a number in a text box on a form and as I do this, I want it to look up a field in a specific table and if it see's the same number typed in. It brings up Unit its assigned to.

E.g
    If the Simcard number typed in is the Same as Simcardnumber in a table/field then bring up the Phone/unit it's attached/assigned to esle display "unassigned" message.

Hope that makes sense
    I'm thinking this is an Expression Equation that is needed?

regards,

Wayne

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You want to view the entire record if one exists? Check out tutorials at http://datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm especially the Build a Custom Filter in Your Form under Access Forms: Tips & Techniques section.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

It's not exactly what I had in mind but that method is a possiblity.

Yes, I want it to search a record automatically as i type, preferably not by a dropdown menu

June7 is online now VIP
    Solution depends on behavior you want. Do you want to open the record or just tell user if the value was or was not found? What will user do after the search is done?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

basically searches what the user types in, if found - brings up the device its attached to. If not - says "Unassigned"

June7 is online now VIP
    By 'brings up the device' do you mean open a record or just tell user what the device is? What will user then do after they get this information?

The following can just tell user result of search. In the VBA AfterUpdate event of textbox, code:

MsgBox Nz(DLookup("fieldname", "tablename", "fieldname='" & Me.textboxname & "'"), "Unassigned")

This example assumes the field being searched is a text datatype. If it is number don't use the apostrophe delimiters (date type uses # delimiter). Use your field and table names in place of the generic aliases.

That sounds better. Another dumb question. How do I find the place to insert the text? :/ Sorry

Nevermind. Found it

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.