Windward is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Running Balance in forms or queries

I have been trying to produce a report which lists items purchased from accounts with several suppliers and shows payments into these accounts and a running/outstanding balance.

My access experience is poor and I found a template/database on the Microsoft site which looked exactly as I wanted, but it too does not seem to show the calculated balance anywhere. (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?qu=access%20databases&av=zac110#ai:TC 001017534|)

It has a calculated text box on two of the reports but it does not seem to work other than as a sum in the footer. Can anyone suggest where am I going wrong (in simple terms for a bear of little brain).

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    That link does not go to template download. What template did you use?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    That link does not go to template download. What template did you use?
    The link takes you to a microsoft download for an Acounting Ledger database which is ideal for what I am trying to achieve .......if it worked. I have downloaded it and the balance column in the reports doesn't work. This is exactly the problem I have with my design. The report uses text boxes with formula in the same way as mine.

June7 is offline VIP
    Very weird link. It takes me to a 'No results returned for access databases' page on the MS site. This time I had that page do a search and comes back with an assortment of databases. One is called 'Accounting ledger database' so I assume that is the one.

Which two reports do you want to modify?

Textboxes on reports have a RunningSum property. I have never used it but that might be what you need.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Very weird link. It takes me to a 'No results returned for access databases' page on the MS site. This time I had that page do a search and comes back with an assortment of databases. One is called 'Accounting ledger database'. Is that the one you are using?
    June,
    The link worked for me. I downloaded and zipped the mdb. It is in A2K3 format; I have A2K

Steve

Very weird link. It takes me to a 'No results returned for access databases' page on the MS site. This time I had that page do a search and comes back with an assortment of databases. One is called 'Accounting ledger database' so I assume that is the one.

Which two reports do you want to modify?

Textboxes on reports have a RunningSum property. I have never used it but that might be what you need.

This is the correct database. All the reports show a balance heading and what I was hoping to achieve was a running balance that adds new invoices to the total and deducts payments made in. A running sum text box in a report won't do this as it just keeps adding to the total.

June7 is offline VIP
    Part of the problem is null fields. Normal math calcs with null return null. Need to handle null.

Try this on the Account Summary report:

1. expression in the Balance textbox: =Nz([DepositAmount],0)-Nz([WithdrawalAmount],0)

2. set Balance textbox RunningSum property to Yes

3. expression in the Balance sum textbox: =Sum(Nz([DepositAmount],0)-Nz([WithdrawalAmount],0))

Is that getting close to what you want?

Many thanks June7

Exactly what I needed.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.