markjkubicki is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

alter table to add a column in a linked table

I need to check if a field exists in a linked table (this could be done just before the table is attached, or after it has already been attached -although I do not think I'd be allowed to do that...) and if it is missing, add it (alternately, if the field already exists, and re-adding it will have no effect on any existing data, I'd skip the checking and just default to adding the field). The table will never have more than (1) record

I've gotten to a point that this code is generated, but it results in an error (3293 syntax error)

ALTER TABLE tbeFixtureSchedulePrintOptions IN 'F:\Jobs\test\TEST Project - Copy.mdb' INSERT COLUMN AIASectionNumber Text(15);

or its generic, unpopulated version:
    ALTER TABLE <table name> IN '<database with file path>' INSERT COLUMN <field name> <data type>(<size>);

also,
    I actually haven't figured out how to check if a field exists in a linked table - if it hasn't be already attached... so I have this ungracious snippet that attaches the table, checks for the field, then if it is missing, breaks the link and attemps (SEE ABOVE) to add it...

the reason for all this is that updated versions of the projects front-ends are continually distributed to project managers who each have their own backends, and occassionally, an update requires that a new field be added to an existing table; hence, the ALTER 'linked' TABLE, ADD COLUMN.
    This may be the totally wrong way of approaching thisw and if so... just let me know

many thanks in advance,
    mark

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Managers have their own backends instead of a common BE for all on a server? DB manager nightmare!

Try ADD COLUMN instead of INSERT COLUMN.

Check this thread http://forums.devarticles.com/micros...vba-58559.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    < you're right, multiple back-ends!!! -it's what I inherited, oh well! >

back to the task...
    just tried changing INSERT COLUMN to be ADD COLUMN...
    still got the same error

about checking to see if a field exists, I previously found this snippet, which seems to me, and what do I know, to be elegantly concise....

Dim exists As Boolean
    exists = False
    On Error Resume Next
    exists = CurrentDb.TableDefs(tablename).Fields(newfieldname ).Name = newfieldname
    fieldexists = exists 'If FALSE, field does not exist
    'Add a field to the table.
    If fieldexists = False Then
    'Initialize
    Set Db = CurrentDb()
    Set tdf = Db.TableDefs(tablename)
    tdf.Fields.Append tdf.CreateField(newfieldname, newfieldtype, newfieldoption)
    MsgBox "Field added."
    'Clean up
    Set fld = Nothing
    Set tdf = Nothing
    Set Db = Nothing
    End If

thoughts ?

June7 is offline VIP
    I tested and also get the syntax error on the ALTER TABLE.

It is modifying TableDefs instead of using an SQL action. Here is example of code from my project that adds a new table to backend and alters some properties. Thought your error would be a simple fix and would not need my example but maybe you will find it helpful. It opens a connection to the backend to create and alter table.
    Code:
    Private Sub btnBuild_Click()
    'On Error GoTo Err_proc
    Dim tdf As TableDef
    Dim cn As ADODB.Connection
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim db As DAO.Database

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    Set cn = New ADODB.Connection

If IsNull(Me.tbxTestNum) Then
        MsgBox "Must enter test number.", vbCritical, "Error"

Else

'Create the Table
        cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0; Data Source='\\dotatufs02\CRM\Lab\Database\Data\LabData.accdb'"
        cn.Execute "CREATE TABLE " & Me.tbxTestNum & " (LabNum text(12) PRIMARY KEY Not Null, method text(30) Not Null);"
        With CurrentDb
            Set tdf = .CreateTableDef(Me.tbxTestNum)
            tdf.SourceTableName = Me.tbxTestNum
            tdf.Connect = "; DATABASE=\\dotatufs02\CRM\Lab\Database\Data\LabData.accdb"
            .TableDefs.Append tdf
        End With
        Me.tbxTestNum.SetFocus
        rs.Open "SELECT * FROM BuildTable;", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic, adLockPessimistic

'must use DAO to set AllowZeroLength property
        Set db = DBEngine.OpenDatabase("\\dotatufs02\CRM\Lab\Database\Data\LabData.accdb")
        While Not rs.EOF
            If rs!DataField <> "LabNum" And rs!DataField <> "method" Then
                cn.Execute "ALTER TABLE " & Me.tbxTestNum & " ADD COLUMN " & _
                rs!DataField & " " & IIf(rs!DataType = "Boolean", "Bit", rs!DataType) & _
                IIf(rs!DataType = "Text", "(" & rs!FieldSize & ")", "") & ";"
            End If
            If rs!DataType = "Text" Then
                db.TableDefs(Me.tbxTestNum).Fields(rs!DataField).AllowZeroLength = False
            End If
            rs.MoveNext
        Wend

rs.Close
        cn.Close

End If

Exit_proc:
        Exit Sub

Err_Proc:
        MsgBox "Error encountered in AddDataTable procedure btnBuild_Click - " & Err & " : " & Err.Description
        Resume Exit_proc
    End Sub
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    thanks! (it's a bit over my head, but, hey... learn something new every day -right?)

I'm going to need a bit of tie to chew on it... but 1st question:
    in the line:
    rs.Open "SELECT * FROM BuildTable;", CurrentProject...
    what does < BuildTable > refer to? (I've run a couple a web searches, but nothing relevant is coming up)

June7 is offline VIP
    This module was designed to create a specific category of table for this database. The db is used to manage laboratory test data. If we implement a new test, would need a new table for the data. BuildTable is the name of table in my project that is used as a 'map' of fields and field properties to create a new table. A form is used to enter field names and select some property parameters as records in BuildTable. Then the procedure refers to BuildTable as source of info to build the new table. Where it refers to recordset to get table info, you can put your variables and you won't need the loop structure. What is important to note is the connection to backend that is established to create and alter the table. I just didn't take time to make the code more generic, athough I actually did remove 5 lines. I could have just posted the lines that show declaring and setting the connection but thought you might find it informative to see them in the context of a procedure.

Windows XP Access 2007
    <you've done great ! thnx>

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.