Kristena is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Question Needing help please......

I have been working on my database now for a few weeks. Everything was fine and working great. All of a sudden yesterday I no longer have the ability to where you can right click on any of the items in my database (i.e. tables, forms, etc.) and have the option to either rename or delete anything. It is all grayed out now. When I go to Access Options to mess with the navigation pane I get this error: The command or action " isn't available now.
    * you may be in a read-only database or an unconverted database from an earlier version.
    *The type of object the action applies to isn't currently selected or isn't in the active view.
    Use only those commands and macro actions that are currently available for this database.

I have done nothing to change properties or anything. The only thing that coinsides with this is that for whatever reason yesterday I was one of the lucky few who all of a sudden had no access to the shared drive at work. Once I had access again I copied the file to a new location.

I have even started a new database and imported all my tables, forms, etc. When I did this I was able to then see the options of being able to rename and delete. However, once I closed database and reopened those were now grayed out again. Does anyone have any suggestions as to help me fix this as I need the ability to delete and rename items as I am going along.

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

When you copied the database to another location,

were you copying it to a trusted location? I recently migrated to 2007 and have had some difficulty with development because I'm not inclined to carefully read the directions. Another guess: do you have any macros or code that alters menu options?

As for the database, all I did was make a copy from our shared drive to my hard drive. I have macros but not for menu options. Not sure why it won't let me do what I need to do.

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

I understand that you think your hard drive is a trusted location.

However, Access 2007 has some requirements which must be satisfied to establish a "trusted location". Look at the Access help or Google "Access 2007 trust center" or "Access 2007 trusted location".

Quote Originally Posted by hertfordkc View Post
    However, Access 2007 has some requirements which must be satisfied to establish a "trusted location". Look at the Access help or Google "Access 2007 trust center" or "Access 2007 trusted location".
    I understand about adding things to "trusted location." However, that is not making sense in this case. All I did was make a copy of my database off my shared drive and put it on my hard drive. I did not notice the ability to be able to rename/delete had become grayed out until I needed it. I also then went back on to my shared drive and now it was grayed out as well. there were no other changes made other than my access to the server had temporarily went down with about a quarter the people in our organization unable to access the shared drive as well. I may be wrong in my thinking but if I created the database on my shared drive it makes no sense to me that all of a sudden I was unable to access the Navigation bar options or to be able to rename/delete anything with in the database. Please let me know if I am completely wrong here. For me the logic is just not there if I created in the location. To me that would tell the computer the location is already trusted but I could be wrong. I would still like to figure out how to fix this. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.