joelmeaders is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

2007 to 2007 Compatibility Issues

I am having an issue that has me 100% stuck.

The original database was built in Access 2003 and most of the computers at my organization are now upgraded to 2007. I have been making updates from 2007 and files are saved as .mde in a network distribution folder. Users launch said databases from a centralized program which detects and installs the updated files to their machine and the database selected is launched (front end file).

There are a handful of users who get "the database is in an unrecognized format" error when launching. They are on Office 2007 and 2003 is uninstalled. When I save the database as an MDE from Access 2003 they can open it without issues. When I compile and save the database from Access 2007 from their machine it launches fine.

We have tried uninstalls and re-installs of Office 2007 and the issue persists. Everyone is on the same version of 2007 and the installs were all pushed the same way. I have tried checking registry settings and everything seems fine.

I tried converting the files to accbd and accbe formats and still had the same issue with these users.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas on how to fix this?

I have our licensing department approving the Access 2007 runtime so we can try installing that for the affected users but that will take time and I don't know if it will fix the issue until we try it.

I have also tried decompiling and recompiling. All references are set properly.

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    My guess would be that you might be referencing a library on your computer that is not available on the end user's computer. Open the application .mdb file using Access 2007 on the end user's problem computer and examine the referenced libraries. Make sure you have the exact same libraries referenced in your master copy.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pdebaets View Post
    My guess would be that you might be referencing a library on your computer that is not available on the end user's computer. Open the application .mdb file using Access 2007 on the end user's problem computer and examine the referenced libraries. Make sure you have the exact same libraries referenced in your master copy.
    I thought so too but they all matched unfortunately. It's as if they have remnants of 2003 carried into 2007. It's a small percentage of users (about 5%). I am starting to think it has something to do with the software/settings our IT department uses to push out software.

I am getting them to do a manual install on a machine for a test and they are still working on approving the 2007 runtime. I'll post an update on what fixes this.

Windows XP Access 2007

Solved

It turns out some computers had SP2 installed and some had SP1 installed. The upgrade to SP2 on all computers worked.

SP2 Access MDE/ACCDE's are not compatible with SP1 Access MDE/ACCDE's.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.