retired911 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

HELP! Simple map database needed to be done!

I am retired from the fire department due to my disability; however, I like to keep up-to-date with the goings-on over at the stations. I listen to my scanner constantly and always keep an ear out for any reports of fires or chases going on within the county. With that being said, I requested and received a book filled with almost all of the street names in Rockdale County, along with some graph-like maps that were included with the names.
    I was thinking that you guys that have more expertise could help me out with an idea that I have, considering the fact that it has to do with a database.
    I want to make a database of all the street names, including their corresponding maps, and I want to be able to search for a street name and pull up the map that goes along with it. For example, for Bryant Rd. NE, I want to be able to type in "Bry" and have the option of Bryant Rd. pulled up, along with the choice of opening the map file as a JPEG, GIF, or PDF file. Some street names have more than one page/map to go along with it, and I would like to have the option of choosing a specific map.
    Would you be able to help me out with this, by chance? It'd be really awesome if you could.
    Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    First, answer the question 'Is Access the best tool for this effort?' An Excel spreadsheet with hyperlinks might be just as practical. Access also has hyperlink data type but if you have only one table of data, not much of a relational database. Excel has search/sort/filter functionality. Review the 'sticky' thread tutorials at http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-access-help-18/

If you did not get this data in digital form, you have a lot of data entry to accomplish! And you probably want the maps as scanned images that can be opened by click on hyperlink field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.