logikel1 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

"Commit new row" in subform

I'm using Access 2007 and have a form for fleet vehicles and a subform for repair records. The two are linked on the Vehicle # field. When adding a repair record to the subform, I locate the correct vehicle on the form and all the entered repair records are correctly displayed.

However, when I add a new record to the subform (repairs table), and type a date in the RepairDate field, I get the message "The value cannot be added to this new row until the row has been committed. Commit the row first, and then try adding the value."

I've found this problem brought up on several forums, but the only answer I found was "The subform row is being saved without a required field, probably the primary key."

How do I commit the new row? How do I enter the primary key, which is an autonumber field added when an entry is made in the row?

Any help is appreciated.

Kelly

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have never seen this, but maybe....

The subform is bound to the table correctly it seems. Is the primary key on the subform? I usually put it on there but make it invisible (leave it visible for debugging purposes). I don't know if that is your problem or not. I assume that the RepairDate is the first field? If so, as soon as you begin typing in it Access will add a new record to the table.

logikel1 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. It looks like your solution worked. Thanks much...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.