Shelly9633 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Link to Excel Workbook

I have a workbook in excel that I update each day. I want to link to that workbook in Access, so I can use many of the tools in Access to get the reports I want. My problem is this, I've linked to the Workbook, everything works fine, except several of the columns are formatted wrong in Access. I've gone back to Excel several times to be sure I have them formatted correctly, and I do. For instance, one column in Excel contains numbers, however, in Access, it imported the entire column as text. As a result, I can't use any totals, etc. What I am doing wrong?

I am a novice Access user, and I don't do VBA at all.

Stingaway is offline Efficiency Junkie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The deep south. Keep going until you hit water basically.
    Ok so you say that you have linked it - but then you say that it access imported the entire column as text.. I am going with its an actual link but that the column was linked as a text column on the 'import' wizard..

If that is the case - are you including headers when you link? If you are not, a lot of times Access will look at the FIRST occurrence of the data and will choose based on that particular piece of data.

I highly suggest choosing to include column headers as that will force access to look a little lower. Also, if you have blank rows in the excel data at the top, Access sometimes treats that as a separate record and gets funky (for lack of a better technical term) with the type it chooses for the column. Remove some of that blank space at the top, include some headers, and you should be good to go.

If you can post some example of the header of the file, that may give me a better idea into what is happening.

Hope this helps.

Shelly9633 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Shazam! Mystery solved!

Thank you very much for the reply. Since this is something I do once a month, I'll just have to remember to populate that first row with data, formatted the way I want it, them import the worksheet. After that, I can delete the date, but at least I'll get my access database formatted the way I want it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.