HeadGasket is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Red face Different drop down info based on another drop down? (noob)

Getting back into Access after a long hiatus but I'm still a total noob. Tried searching the forum for an answer but failed (JUST UPDATED THIS POST. DID FIND A COUPLE ANSWERS BUT NOT EXACTLY WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR. ANY ADVICE IS STILL GREATLY APPRECIATED. NO, I'M NOT YELLING). I'm using Access 2007.

I know I can just use text fields and always type in the info but I was trying to prevent mispellings by using drop-down lists.

My questions are as follows (I've done it a long time ago but forgot how)...

1) What is the basic theory, or detailed how-to, for having certain data accessible in a secondary drop down list based on what was selected under the first drop down list?

2)Additionally, is it possible to auto-update the first field based on the selection within the second field?

Now for some info. I'm starting with info from two tables. The first is tbl_Customers, which contains the names of all the customers we do business with. The second table is tbl_PartNumbers, which is self-explanatory but contains a list of all part numbers and the related customer. I will then have another table in which individual events are stored.

My form (frm_NCEvent) will contain the Customer field where you can select or begin typing. My idea was that by selecting a Customer in this field, the Part Number drop-down field would then only show you part numbers associated with that particular customer.

Another option would be to select or type in the Part Number and automatically update the Customer field with the associated customer.

Last question. Am I being a total dork and creating something too complicated, or is this a legitimate issue?

Thanks in advance.

-HeadGasket
    Last edited by HeadGasket; 12-30-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Question solved

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    This type of thing?

Baldy-Cascading Combos

and it sounds like this is your other option:

BaldyWeb - Autofill

Can't answer the dork question but no, you're not being too complicated. It's all about making something that works well for the user.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

HeadGasket is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks, Paul. This is actually one post that I came across after I posted my questions. But, it's helpful to get some affirmation that what I saw was related. I'm going to check it out further. Thanks, again.

-HeadGasket

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem, and welcome to the site. I'll be down to get some wine soon.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.