hawzmolly is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2003

How to select more than one choice in option box.

On my form I need to have a method for my users to be able to choose their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice. I would like to give the user a method to change their mind i.e., change #1 with #2. Then once they are sure, lock in all of their choices.

I have created the option box with 12 choices from which I need the responder to choose their top 4 in order of preference.

What I think I need is to create 5 "Command Button" choices i.e., Button 1 pops up the option box and when the user chooses one, that choice is held until the "Are you sure" button (#5) is pressed. Only when the button 5 is pressed are the choices recorded on the main table in [CH1] through [CH4].

I would really rather the user be able to select their top 4 choices in one box and have their choice recorded in CH1 through CH4.

Don't have a clue how to code or do either one. - Please help.

After I have created the form needed, I then need to save it so I can place it on our web site. That is another problem I'll ask for help with later.

Thanx

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    How are you attempting to use this "option box?" To generate a query? something else?

And by "option box," do you mean a list box that allows for multiple selection by holding down the control key?

Alan

Windows 7 Access 2003
    I used the form toolbox "Options Group" to create the listing I intend the user to use.

My intent is for the user to select their choice/s from the list in the section called "Frames". When they have completed their choices they will click on an "Are you sure" button.

I am confused. Options only let you make one choice. If you need multiple selections, why not use a list box? What is the end result after the user makes the selection. Where is all this going? Is it filtering a form, running a query or creating a report. I think we need more information to understand what is happening and what you want. ie. Expected results. Steven Covey in his 7 habits of highly effective people had a premise: Begin with the end in mind. What is is the end for you? Real examples help to understand what you are trying to do.

Windows 7 Access 2003
    I am putting together a non-profit organization membership application. The reason for the need to get info is to place the candidate in the jobs they would like to work in or have a skill for. There are several jobs that are under different headings in the organization. Our desire is to place the candidate in the correct place. We will use their answers to accomplish this. Normally people have several skills they either like to do or are capable of. Therefore, the reason to offer 8 – 12 skill set categories from which the applicant can choose up to four. The data will be used for a filter and / or report to the BoD.

After I get the application completed we will then place it on our web site. The application will be filled out on line and then transmitted to us. We will then either apply the answers directly to the Access DB (if possible) or hand enter the data into the DB.

If there is a better method in Access to accomplish the job I would love to know how. As I said at the beginning I would like a drop down the has all of the choices from which a respondent can select from 1 to 4 choices in their order of preference.

My master table has CH1 through CH4 for these four choices. I thought the “Option Group” was the tool to get the job done. Using the "Text Box" I believe still only allows one answer entered into the field and that would be done separately for each field. If not, then please enlighten me.

I think that you need to have your skill bank in a separate table that is linked to each volunteer. A one to many relationship between the candidate and the skill bank. I would then put a subform on the main form in datasheet view which is linked to this separate table. I would make a combo box that allows you to list as many records as necessary in the subform for the skills. You could list more than four if desired.

GoPackGo
    Alan

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    An Option Group by nature allows only one selected item.

You might find disscussion in this thread of interest http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...ad.php?t=60967

If you want to limit users to 4 selections, having four fields for entry of items will assure only four but will not prevent repeats. This is also not a normalized structure and will make search and sort more difficult. Alan's suggestion is normalized structure.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.