ksmith is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Attachment field in a Spit Database

I have a problem that I have never encountered before.

I have a split database. I needed to add an attachment field to a table.
    I opened the table in the backend DB and made the necessary changes (added a New Field as an Attachment type). When I open the table from the FE the attachment paperclip icon is NOT displayed in the table. The link seems to be OK, all of the other data in the table is there and accessible. The new field is displayed but without the (0) paperclip in the field.
    I have opened the table from the BE, the (0) paperclip is displayed like it should, and entered a picture for ONE record. It works as it should from the BE. I then closed the BE database, opened the FE and the new picture attachment fields are blank, they are there they just don’t have the (0) paperclip or the one record that I added to from the BE doesn’t have (1)paperclip, it’s also blank.
    What am I missing? I’m sure I have done this before and have several other Databases with a similar design that works perfectly.

KSmith

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I just tested this with my split database and get the same results. Appears to be an issue with linked table attachment field. I will have to test with 2010 tonight and see if same thing happens. I am guessing will be same. Attachments don't 'carry over' with linked tables.

What is the attachment for - a single image for each record?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks June7 for the reply.

No, its not that simple. This application is a training/reporting thing that has multiple pictures per record.

I was thinking after I posted my question, I think all of the stuff before was done before I split the database.

If I continue with the attachment approach I will make the table a 'local' table, make the changes, and then put it back it the BE.

Anyway thanks for the reply,

KSmith

June7 is online now VIP
    I was thinking that would have to be a FE table. How do you make FE available - is it distributed to users and installed on their local PC? How does putting table back into BE help?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I think I can convert the table where I want to put the pictures (attachments) to a local table.

Make all of my changes (while the table is a 'local table').

Then copy the table back to the BE so the table will be available to everyone else.

I have a small business where we have a shop server with about 10 pc's that use the data that's on the BE.

KSmith

June7 is online now VIP
    But the Attachment field of linked table is not 'carrying over' the data to the front end, as far as I can tell, and cannot open the attachment. I think might have to keep the Attachment field in FE table. Every time there is a need to add record will have to be done in a 'master' of the FE and redistributed to all users.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I have several tables where I use the attachment file type, and they work.

I have several tables where the attachement field is used everyday by users and the tables are on the server.

I guess all of them were made and populated before I split the database. Thats why I can't understand why Access will not let you add an attachement field to an existing table that's in a FE - BE setup.

Also, I can update an attachment field (From the FE location) via the link to the BE.

This is crazy...!!!

It's good to be able to talk to other folks about this kind of stuff, I'm the only one here that speaks 'Access'.

Ksmith

June7 is online now VIP
    You say other Attachment fields in BE are working from the front end? It won't allow the field to be added at the BE when table is linked? Okay, that jibes with what my test produced and is most annoying. But at least it is a one-time fix on the table.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Yeah, I know thanks for the reply.

Hope you and yours have a great New Year..!

KSmith

irish634 is offline Advanced Beginner
    I ran across this thread and duplicated the issue in 2010. I solved it by deleting the linked table from the front end, then re-linked it.

Lugma01 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Hi, I know this is an old post however in Access 2010 you can right click on the linked table then go to "Linked Table Manager" choose the linked table to up date and click ok. This should now allow you to add attachments.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.